Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

chicken pox and pregnancy

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 6:31 PM
  • 7 Replies

So I think my ds, 4 1/2, has the chicken pox!! I know for a fact that 3 of my kids, including him, have been vacinated.  I'm not sure if my 13 month old has had the shot yet or not.  HOWEVER, I have NOT been vaccinated nor have I EVER had the chicken pox--and I'm PREGNANT!  We were reading that it can cause serious problems in the newer stages of pregnancy (20 weeks or less!) and I'm only about 8 weeks.  I'm planning to call my doctor, but do any of you have experience with this?  It's kind of freaking me out!!

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 6:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
soleismommy
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 6:35 PM

i do know that chicken pox is worse in adults than it is as a child.. whether you are pregnant or not... so i think considering that you are preggo you should def. talk to your doctor and see what precautions he wants you to take... better safe than sorry... good luck and keep us posted! i hope all ends well :)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers,Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
purplemoosemom
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 6:38 PM

I saw it can cause birth defects....

Quoting soleismommy:

i do know that chicken pox is worse in adults than it is as a child.. whether you are pregnant or not... so i think considering that you are preggo you should def. talk to your doctor and see what precautions he wants you to take... better safe than sorry... good luck and keep us posted! i hope all ends well :)

MommaBunch84
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 6:40 PM

My mom had chicken pox when she was little, then again when she was pregnant with me. But I'm not sure how far along she was when she had it.

purplemoosemom
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 6:59 PM

bump

Xstitchinmom
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:10 PM

I had chicken pox when I was four months pregnant. I got it from a coworker's dd. It was awful! I remember going in for a routine appt., and telling them I thought I had chicken pox. They took one look at me, and sent me to an empty room at the end of the hallway so I wouldn't infect anyone else. This all happened 13 years ago. Luckily, the chicken pox didn't harm my dd in any way, but the doc said it could cause scarring on the fetus!

HalloweenSMPMMichele.gif picture by Michele34_photo

purplemoosemom
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:01 PM

Oh dear, that's what I'm afraid of. 

Quoting Xstitchinmom:

I had chicken pox when I was four months pregnant. I got it from a coworker's dd. It was awful! I remember going in for a routine appt., and telling them I thought I had chicken pox. They took one look at me, and sent me to an empty room at the end of the hallway so I wouldn't infect anyone else. This all happened 13 years ago. Luckily, the chicken pox didn't harm my dd in any way, but the doc said it could cause scarring on the fetus!

HalloweenSMPMMichele.gif picture by Michele34_photo

NewJoyOn1308
by Platinum Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:03 PM

Let your husband or SO take care of the infected one(s) and you stay away as much as possible until you get to the doctor and find out what to do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)