Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much weight is too much?

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 6:56 PM
  • 5 Replies

I work nights with mentally disabled clients...Sometimes I am required to help assist them into standing positions...I dont not have a problem with doing this. I do however, have a problem with helping my 270 pound client out of bed when she refuses help, starts kicking, and pushes me away.  A few weeks ago my doctor told me I needed to limit my lifting to 50 pounds, and as I got further along even less.  This of course limits my job.  My boss disagrees.  She thinks that I should STILL be able to lift a 270 pound woman out of bed.  I'll be 24 weeks pregnant on Tuesday.  My boss also told me that if I COULDNT do my job that I might as well start looking for another one, I was useless to them....in which I completely disagree.  I do ALL OF MY JOB except the lifting.  *arg*.  But my question is, how much were you lifting at 24 weeks and on?  How much is too much to be lifting?  My boss says, " I was doing this through ALL THREE OF MY PREGNANCIES AND DIDNT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS SO I DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR DAMN PROBLEM IS."  and it really made me feel like....well Sh**.  :( Esp. since I LOVE MY JOB. 

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 6:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MissAndrea125
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 6:58 PM

Dont lift anything that makes you strain at all. If it requires a lot of energy to lift something, don't lift it. And they can't fire you for being pregnant. Your boss sounds like a bitch

aj23
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 7:03 PM

Get a doctors statement and have it put with you file at work. If the doctor told you not to lift that much then don't. They would have a hard time firing you over that if you could easily get help with lifting someone. 

I agree that your boss sounds like a bitch. Is there anyone over her that you could talk to?

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. " - Mark Twain

yesitsme311
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 7:07 PM

I agree. Your boss sounds like a real bitch. Maybe she did lift that much during her pregnancy but that was HER pregnancy not yours. You do what feels right for you. I hate to tell you to say fuck it to your job though. Maybe you should take your concerns to someone above her, I would. Don't let her bitch-ness put your baby in any danger, that would just be ridiculous.

Seriously, go to the next person above her and voice your concerns. This is your baby you are talking about.

Quoting MissAndrea125:

Dont lift anything that makes you strain at all. If it requires a lot of energy to lift something, don't lift it. And they can't fire you for being pregnant. Your boss sounds like a bitch

CallieJo05
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 7:12 PM

Yes, there is.  But because my own boss is such a bitch I feel extremely intimidated, and I've NEVER felt this way before.  She told me in our little "meeting" today that I needed to "shape up" and start doing my job properly and that if I couldnt do what the job required of me then they would let me go.  At the same time I dont feel like I've particularly done anything wrong other than BEEN PREGNANT.  Of course, this is the same woman who told me that she had cleaned litter boxes her entire pregnancy without any problems, and doesnt understand why I wont do it.  So she bitches and moans about that too.  I dont understand where in her mind she thinks its ok for a pregnant woman, high risk or not, to be lifting a 270 pound person. It doesnt make sense to me.  Does she really think I'm going to be able to do that at 8 months? 9?  Seriously?  Of course, what am I saying?  She's 57 and probably smoked  all her pregnancies and didnt have any major problems with that either.  *sigh* 

Quoting aj23:

Get a doctors statement and have it put with you file at work. If the doctor told you not to lift that much then don't. They would have a hard time firing you over that if you could easily get help with lifting someone. 

I agree that your boss sounds like a bitch. Is there anyone over her that you could talk to?

Braydens_Mama06
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 7:15 PM

If I were you, I would take in a drs note and if she still gives you a hard time, I'd file a complaint.  There are way too many risks involved when lifting heavy loads during pregnancy and whether or not she agrees with them, she needs to respect them, your body, and your baby.   

"Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother" - Lin Yutang

"Boys are found everywhere - on top of, underneath, inside of, climbing on, swinging from, running around or jumping to. Mothers love them, little girls hate them, older sisters and brothers tolerate them, adults ignore them and Heaven protects them. A boy is Truth with dirt on its face, Beauty with a cut on its finger, Wisdom with bubble gum in its hair and the Hope of the future with a frog in its pocket." - Alan Marshall Beck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)