Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you? (infant feeding question) Edited in red

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 7:07 PM
  • 2 Replies

I was at wal mart today with my MIL and I was looking at the Gerber graduates fruit puffs etc for my 7 month old. She started telling me how my SIL who has a baby 11 days older than mine is eating the yogurt  melts. I guess its not that bad but he has no teeth, and he doesn't know how to eat them himself. In fact, she apparently has to smash them and stick them in his mouth for him to be able to eat them. I think thats ridiculous, and I don't think he's ready for them. Hell, I'm not even convinced my son is ready for the puffs, and he has teeth and would be able to feed them to himself. Frankly, I don't think my SIL feeds her son well at all. He gets no formula, he's technically breastfed but she only breastfeeds him 3 times a day tops, the rest of the day he eats baby food. She's already giving him stage 3 baby food, and at that she only really gives him fruits or sweet potatos. On top of that, she gives him ice cream and cake when someone has a birthday, which is usually at least 1 time a month (big family) or whatever they're having for dessert that night. Her son is fat, and not like chubby baby fat... just fat. I don't think he gets proper nutrition. She receives WIC for him, so I know SOMEONE has to be talking to her about nutrition, but obviously she doesn't listen. My MIL is clueless about nutrition as well, and I have thrown hints out to her that what SIL does is not right but I don't think its enough anymore. I want to say something to my SIL, but how do I say it nicely? And how should I say it to get her to at the very least take me seriously, if not take my advice? Then again, maybe its none of my business at all. But, he is my nephew and I don't want to see him suffer later in his life for it.

Edit: Maybe I'm wrong and he's fine? Idk, but if I am do you think I don't feed my son enough? He's 7 months, I still give him stage 1 purees, or stage 2 with some added water. If I don't add water to the stage 2's he gets constipated. I feed that to him once a day, around 11am. Thats the only time he acts hungry enough for it, and I'm afraid if I give it to him more often he'll get constipated.  I give him water to drink, but he'll only drink ice water and will only drink out of the cup I am drinking from. I still nurse him about every 2 hours, but he'll only nurse for 1-3 minutes at a time. He's about 16 and a half pounds. Really, am I not feeding him enough? I've often wondered about it.

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 7:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
M0M0F03
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 7:09 PM

By 7 months my kids were all getting some table food...so I guess I fall in line with your SIL. 

tinkerxbell
by danger will robinson on Oct. 29, 2009 at 7:31 PM

bump for edit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)