Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Riddle me this - RANT - kinda - i dunno

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 7:19 PM
  • 146 Replies

I am NOT ragging on SAHM's. Its fantastic that you get the opportunity and make the sacrifice to be one.

However - this came up in another thread.. and I'm really tired of hearing it.

SAHM's have the toughest jobs.

Explain this to me.

You cook, clean, take care of the kids etc etc.

Well try doing ALL that and working 40 hours on top of that.!!

Being a mother is the hardest job on earth right up there with being a dad. Whether you work or not. but don't try to sell me that staying at home with your children and having 24 hours a day to devote to them and your household is harder than trying to juggle all those responsibilities along with working outside the home and bringing in an income.

** edit to be PERFECTLY CLEAR

I dont think SAHM's have it worse or better than I do as a working mother. I think that we each have different stressers, different demands - all equally demanding on us.

And I am personally tired of hearing how hard it is to be a SAHM and how working mothers get "days off" and "time off by going to work"

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 7:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovinmyboys...
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 7:22 PM

It's not so much about how much work is involved as the mental stress that comes with it.

I personally don't think neither SAHM's nor working outside of home moms have it tougher.

KT9105
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 7:24 PM

I find it arrogant for anyone to proclaim they have the hardest job, be they stay at home parents, work at home parents or parents out in the workforce.

FooLynRoo
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 7:25 PM

Quoting lovinmyboys...:

It's not so much about how much work is involved as the mental stress that comes with it.

I personally don't think neither SAHM's nor working outside of home moms have it tougher.

Like I said. I think being a mother in this day and age is tough. PERIOD.

I just really frustrated at the SAHM comments.

what mental stress is involved wiht a SAHM that isnt involved with a mom who works?

HeatherMae55
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 7:25 PM

haha..  Yeah, I think being a SAHM is hard as hell because - well...  I just don't like it and would rather be working.

It was hard as hell when I worked full time plus over time, and took care of my son, my house, bills, etc while my husband was out in the field and went to school full time..  But I LOVED IT!!  

lmao!!

Blame Straight People   prochoice.jpg pro choice image by thekiltedyaksmendefault.jpg leagalize dont pentalize marijuana image by earlsworld70117

briansmommy7143
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 7:27 PM

Do SAHM's have the hardest job? No. Is their job easy? Absolutely not. I don't know because I've never been a SAHM, but I know working a full time job and taking care of my children and keeping up with housework is A LOT! I THINK, but not sure, it would be easier to be a SAHM. I would have 50 extra hrs. a week (driving time) to care for my children and my home and things would be less crazy. You know your life is too fast paced when you're putting powdered formula in your coffee pot... that's all I'm gonna say.

Saveyourtatas.gif picture by kellyw9608

K.a.C.87

YES THIS!! my df works 40 hours a week, and gets breaks, lunch, etc....comes home...naps, watches tv....yea he is done, he put his 40 hours in

i NEVER get to stop doing what i am doing. if i did work, it would be easier because i get time away from the screaming, temper tandrums, etc, etc,.....my shift never even stops when i am asleep.....i can be woken up once twice, and soon to be more in a few weeks....i dont get time off

Quoting lovinmyboys...:

i am a 21 year old Wisconsin mama to my precious daughter, Eliahna Maree, loving fiance to lee, pregnant with our little boy!! (1.26.10) Bryant Allen. Disposible diapering, ERFing, breastfeeding, NON-CIO, Vaxing mommy turned to NON-VAXing!

visit our family at -- http://nichclem07.blogspot.com/

mstnbecki

Ive been both and I would say the worst part about being a sahm is not having a social life or anything to talk to hubby about other then kids and the home.

I do agree working and taking care of the home is very hard cause after you get off work you have to come home. cook dinner. feed the family, bathe the kids, feed the pets, walk the dog ,clean the house ,do laundry. then hope you have 5 mins to yourself before its time to do it all over again. 

Crystallynn
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 7:28 PM

Ok- so I worked until just this year.  My kids are 9 and 11- and I have to say that working was easier than being a stay at hom mom for me.  Being a SAHM is harder, IMO- just because people have higher expectations that they do if you are a working mom.  People expect my house to be clean and everything in its place.... but you know what- sometimes I just dont feel like it.  I dont feel like doing anything.  As a working mom, I never had that option, so the expectations werent there.  Now, I am expected to have a piping hot meal-homecooked- served up at 5:30 sharp.  Well you know what, sometimes my kids dont eat till 7- and dinner came out of a box- that is just the way it works......

Septpreggo
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 7:30 PM

i agree with you because im a single mom who works outside and inside the house

De_Chick
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 7:31 PM

I think alot of it is mind over matter personally. I've worked some very trying mentally stressful jobs in my lifetime and had to come home and do all the things I didnt' get done during the day, take care of kids, cook dinner and help with homework, baths, whatever. The harder I told myself it was the HARDER it became. I would imagine the same thing would be true in any situation. I try to be optimistic and tell myself its not so bad and you know what? You start to enjoy it a whole lot more!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)