Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babysitter issues. Am I being unreasonable?

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:49 PM
  • 26 Replies

Okay, so I go to pick my 23 month old DD from the sitter today. She is only there for about 3 hours 3-4 days a week. The sitter is a good friend of mine from college, who is married to a complete ahole, but we are still friends. And she has a 2 month old baby. Anyway, so I go to pick up DD today and she didn't meet me at the door like she usually does. She was in the corner of the kitchen crying. The sitter said that she was in time out because she was on the furniture. Apparently my DD is not allowed on the furniture when she is there. She was obviously upset and crying. And not like "pissed off" crying, it was her "upset, where is mama" crying. So to sum it all up, the sitter put my DD in time out, which I am not opposed to, but because she is not allowed on the furniture. And its not like a mansion formal front room. It is a floral couch in an apt. I have talked to my hubby, mom and MIL and none of us are happy. I am not taking her there anymore. What do you ladies think, am I freaking out too much??

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
scooterpooter
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:52 PM

why is she not allowed to sit on the furniture? thats kinda weird...was she jumping on the furniture?

bouncing momamanda

mom2four1978
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:52 PM

Did you get both sides of the story. Little ones sometimes miss information when giving a story. Is she not allowed on the furniture, or is she not allowed to jump on the furniture? My DD once told everyone that I kicked her out of the house, when I really asked her to go outside if she was going to be rowdy.

psychmama
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:54 PM

My DD is not even 2 yet, so she can't exactly give me her side of the story lol. That is just what the sitter told me, is that Crickett is not allowed on the furniture.

Quoting mom2four1978:

Did you get both sides of the story. Little ones sometimes miss information when giving a story. Is she not allowed on the furniture, or is she not allowed to jump on the furniture? My DD once told everyone that I kicked her out of the house, when I really asked her to go outside if she was going to be rowdy.

gabe11-14

Just curious if you asked her why your DD wasn't allowed on the furniture? I don't think it's unreasonable for a child to be on the furniture.... If she can not give you a legitimate reason then don't take your DD back there.

*There are only so many "Good Guys" in this world, I got lucky and was blessed with 2 of the best.

n03z07l08

Was it that your daughter is not allowed to climb all over and jump on furniture or she isnt allowed to even sit nicely? I mean I can understand putting a child in time out for climb all over your furniture or jumping on it(whether its nice or not) but I dont think a kid should have to sit on the floor like a dog...actually even my dogs were allowed on the furniture so...

Naegore

did you ask why she wasn't allowed on the furnature? i don't think you are over reacting, but i think you should get some answers first. maybe there was a logical explaination. i can't say too much cause right now my son isn't allowed on our furnature. but that's because he won't stop jumping on it.

It is neither safe nor prudent to do anything against conscience. My conscience is captive to the Word of God. -Martin Luther

Krystal-Luz
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:55 PM

yeah, i would agree you may have needed more of the story...perhaps she was in time out for: Not Following Insturctions (the instructions on this occasion being, staying off the furniture when told to do so by a grown person)

TaraJJones
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:58 PM

she's 23 months- not 5 years old! Even then the story doesn't always come out right but I'm sure she talked to the babysitter about what happened. I would be unhappy. Unless she gave you a better explanation other then she's not aloud ON the furniture. If she's not aloud on the furniture then she (the babysitter) should have boundaries up so the baby knows that. And I think any child at 23 months would have the "where's my mommy" cry when in time out- in the corner, in the kitchen. I would ask more questions and tell my concerns to get the story completely straight and then make my decision. Good Luck! :0)

Quoting mom2four1978:

SerenityRose
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:00 PM

I would have came straight out and asked right then and there why she isn't allowed on the furniture??

I have a small daycare and there is a little girl who just turned two that I don't allow on the furniture. Hopefully only temporary though. She is potty training and her mom just puts training pants on her w/o the plastics, so it seemed like every time she got on the couch she would pee on it.

I explained everything to her mom right away and she understood,so I make it kind of a game for all of the kids to sit on the floor so she doesn't feel left out.

Sometimes if a child jumps on the couch after being told not to so many times I will "ground" them from being on the couch for the rest of the day but never always! 

Lilypie

Lilypie
De_Chick
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:01 PM

I would have asked her what she meant by not allowed on the furniture to determine if I thought the rule was valid or not. Not that it would matter as far as the rules being the rules of the babysitter at her home but it might have put things into perspective more where you didn't walk away feeling confused and angry.

Reasons my own two were not allowed on the furniture when they were that age: They would jump on it. They would try to sneak food or drink onto it, often resulting in spills. They would go often push each other when they were on it causing a possilble safety risk.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)