Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Boy vs. Girl

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:12 PM
  • 22 Replies

I had my ultrasound and found out I am having a little boy. I have a 3 year old little girl and was hoping this one would be a little girl as well because frankly, as elated I am that all was well with him, I am scared shitless of having a little boy. I'm an only child. Most of my cousins and parents friends' kids were girls. I've only babysat a boy alone once, every other time was the neighbor boy and his two sisters were there. Most of my friends have girls...I am just completely overwhelmed. I'm a single mom, which adds to the anxiety 10-fold.

Anyone with any words of encouragment?? Tips for raising boys?? What differences did you notice from boys to girls?? What's the greatest thing about your little boys??

PLEASE don't bash me for being a single mom or think I'm in any way against males. I'm certainly not, but I am clueless. I really just want my children to grow up happy and healthy. I know there aren't many differences between boys and girls in the beginning, but as they age, there certainly are. I'm not angry or anything, just genuinely anxious over this. Please, just be nice.

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ajswenson
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:17 PM

I have one of each.....boys are WAY easier than girls and that seems to be a pretty common theory out there.  love him, as I'm sure it will happen anyway! LOL  and he will be fine.  My DD is way crazy, my DS is so calm and polite.  Could be just mine???  Congrats and best wishes.

mama2conor
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Having a boy is great! I wanted a girl when I was pregnant (and I hope to have one eventually), but I wouldn't trade having my boy for anything.  It'll be good, you'll get used to the idea and the experience will be awesome. :)

BTW, my friend had her first son after 3 girls, I'm sure its been a learning experience for her as well. :)

crazyangel_52
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:26 PM

i have a 6 year old daughter and a 3 year old boy.i wouldn't trade my son for the world.it's not all that hard.everyone says girls are easier with potty training.thats not true in my case.i tried with my daughter from the time she was 2 untill she decided herself at 4 she wanted to do it herself.my son was pottyed trained just after his third bday.good luck mama and everything will be just fine.just remember to have fun and enjoy u little boy when he gets here.

butterflyblu
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 10:27 PM

I'm one of two girls and had no experience with boys.  But I actually am glad I have a boy rather than a girl.  I'm also expecting my second boy.  In general, boys are a lot easier than girls just from my observation with friends who have girls and growing up as one of two girls.  Less drama, easy going, etc.  My son is very active though.  That's one difference I've noticed between girls and boys in general.  Not that there aren't active girls, it's just that boys have some type of high energy that is unmatched.   They play differently too.  A girl will sit nicely and play with a toy appropriately whereas boys are rougher and generally move from one thing to the other quickly.  Those are just generalizations I've noticed.  You will do just fine with a boy!  Don't worry.  Boys are so loving too, especially towards their mommas.  I love getting hugs and kisses from my son.  He'll run up to me just out of the blue and give me a hug and say "Mama, mmm" in the cutest voice ever.   It's his way of saying I love you.  But with his Daddy, he's all about wrestling and being rough. 

madelyns_momma
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 11:29 PM

A lot of people tell me my daughter acts 100% boy, so maybe the things you mention won't be so different, LOL!!!

I am excited about the "momma's boy" potential though. My daughter adores me more then anyone on earth, but still has a soft spot for her daddy. I'm anxious to see the personality of this wee one!

Quoting butterflyblu:

I'm one of two girls and had no experience with boys.  But I actually am glad I have a boy rather than a girl.  I'm also expecting my second boy.  In general, boys are a lot easier than girls just from my observation with friends who have girls and growing up as one of two girls.  Less drama, easy going, etc.  My son is very active though.  That's one difference I've noticed between girls and boys in general.  Not that there aren't active girls, it's just that boys have some type of high energy that is unmatched.   They play differently too.  A girl will sit nicely and play with a toy appropriately whereas boys are rougher and generally move from one thing to the other quickly.  Those are just generalizations I've noticed.  You will do just fine with a boy!  Don't worry.  Boys are so loving too, especially towards their mommas.  I love getting hugs and kisses from my son.  He'll run up to me just out of the blue and give me a hug and say "Mama, mmm" in the cutest voice ever.   It's his way of saying I love you.  But with his Daddy, he's all about wrestling and being rough. 

K.a.C.87
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 11:31 PM

i grew up in a house of girls.....my first was a girl, and now im having a boy! im a little afraid too because i know NOTHING about boys...thank gosh i have df!

i am a 21 year old Wisconsin mama to my precious daughter, Eliahna Maree, loving fiance to lee, pregnant with our little boy!! (1.26.10) Bryant Allen. Disposible diapering, ERFing, breastfeeding, NON-CIO, Vaxing mommy turned to NON-VAXing!

visit our family at -- http://nichclem07.blogspot.com/

MomTo2Boys2526
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 11:31 PM

lol I have 2 boys and a girl..

You can PM me and we can swap ideas for the different sexes..

I know how to take care of boys but when it comes to my daughter, Im almost clueless

joci2203
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 11:33 PM

I have two boys, and I wouldn't want it any other way:)  Don't worry, no matter the gender, he is still your child and you will love him and adore him just as you would your little girl:)

Kaybean
by Kayleen on Oct. 29, 2009 at 11:38 PM

I have 2 boys myself, but I've heard that boys are easier than girls..when they're younger at least lol. I really don't think it will be a whole lot different. I mean yeah he'll probably like cars and dirt and bugs and be a typical boy, but when it comes down to the basic stuff, its gonna be just fine :)

TTC a GIRL? Want a GIRL in the future?
Join this group!!! We share tips and
methods for conceiving that baby girl!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/22322

snoober_k
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 11:43 PM

i'm single too. i have a 3yo girl and a 16month old boy. LET ME TELL YOU- my boy is waaaaay rowdier than my girl was! he is a monster- a sweet, cute, lovable, mommas boy, but still a monster. he loves to come right behind me after i've cleaned up and re-destroy everything. he also eats non- stop.he LOVES playing outside, getting filthy, everything typical boys do. but i like him ;) we dont really have boys in our family either so i'm enjoying watching him grow. there are times when you are going to want to pull your hair out/punch yourself/scream/etc but you will have a good life with your boy and your girl. good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)