Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He died of H1N1 without ever even having it...(update of previous post)

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:20 PM
  • 5 Replies

Below (in black) is my original post concerning this situation...and here is a very sad update.

This friend died yesterday.  27 years young. is what has me simply dumbfounded and angry.  He NEVER had H1N1!  AFTER he died it was diagnosed with having MRSA...which is a "super-bug" staph infection.

The way I look at my friend's death is this "he died from H1N1 even though he didn't have it". 

It seems these days EVERYTHING is "H1N1"...NO ONE has the "seasonal flu" anymore...nope "it's H1N1"...of course, because the test to determine the specific strain of flu someone has is so expensive they don't do the test and simply tell everyone who has flu-like symptoms "you have the H1N1...stay home".  Now, even when it isn't "the flu" of ANY kind...doctors are brushing it all off as "H1N1".

My friend stayed home sick for a full week before he went to the hospital because it wasn't getting better (but getting worse).  If they had done more searching into what was wrong with him instead of just jumping to the first conclusion "H1N1"...maybe they would have found what was REALLY WRONG with him and treated him for that.

He was in the hospital 21 days and as far as I understand right now...he was treated as having H1N1 - in critical condition for most of his days there.  He was never treated for what he really had.

MRSA is an "almost" drug-resistant infection, but it does respond to an antibiotic called vancomycin.  The reason this infection is so resistant to most antibiotics is because of the over use of antibiotics and because people won't finish their whole prescriptions.

Now 3 people died at that hospital...all of them with of them was a 23 year old pregnant woman.  They were able to save her baby, but she died.  Simply heartbreaking.

Please a prayer for the loved ones they left behind.  And for the little baby left without a mother.

Original Posted Oct.29th --- I admit it...I have been thinking that the reaction to the H1N1 flu has been and OVER reaction.  People lined up around city blocks, waiting for a vaccine that there is a shortage of. 

Yeah...people in recent generations haven't been exposed to this strain of the may hit harder than the other, more common, "seasonal" flu strains.  But, for the most part, people get sick...they stay home feeling sick...and get over it. 

Big deal.

Well - today my best friend told me that her brother's best friend (who I have known for 10 years) has contracted H1N1.  He is now in a more acute care hospital (not our local) about 45 minutes away from our home town - in ICU. 

It doesn't look good.

His prognosis right now is "we don't know if he'll make it...his lungs are collapsing".  He is 27 years old and has had none of the "underlying health conditions" that we hear so much about when it comes to those dying from this flu. 

He is Catholic and things have looked so bad that yesterday afternoon a priest came and gave him his Last Rites. 

How scary and sad is that?

The good news is that since yesterday evening, his oxygen levels have gone up.  But he is still in critical condition.

I was somewhat skeptical about this whole panic over H1N1 - and I HATE vaccines (the possible reactions)...but right now, I feel that the possible reactions to the vaccine really ARE far outweighed by the possible complications if my son were to get this flu.  Bottom line - I'd rather he have a reaction to the vaccine...than to DIE from the FLU.  I will get my son vaccinated once it's available for the general public (I work at a hospital and we have the vaccine...but it is in limited supply - first to get it are health care workers...then pregnant and those with underlying health conditions...then the "general public")

I am praying that my friend's friend pulls through this.

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:22 PM

I hope he gets better soon! 

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:24 PM

I am so sorry to hear that! i have a dear friend who i have known since middle school who was in the ICU for a month on life support and ventilators because of H1N1 and he was previously strong and healthy with no underlying health conditions... we all prayed and thankfully he pulled thru and is finally home.... i hope and pray the same for your friend **hug**

CafeMom Tickers

Koko- navy wife-mommy of two- currently baking baby #3

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:25 PM

I'm so sorry for your friend.  I hope he continues to improve. 

And I have gotten the vaccine for my two kids.  Several docs I asked ALL said for my kids (2 and 4) they recommended it.  For DH and I, not necessary. 

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:29 PM

yikes thats sad and scary i hope he pulls through. i am unable to get the vaccine due to there is no vaccine here for people who are not pregnant or under 4 but hopefully there will be enough of it so taht they can at least get it.

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 10:22 PM

That is really scary.  I hope he recovers!  My mom actually had H1N1 and she is fine.  No problems or complications.  The mortality rate is still less than 1%. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)