Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone have a boxer or dog for that matter..lol

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:24 PM
  • 8 Replies

We have a 8 week old boxer. We have had her for about 2 weeks now.  Well she is getting pretty bitty lately.  Uses her teeth to bite when you walk or just play with her.  I'm getting a little worried that she may be in a trend that when she gets older she may really hurt one of my kids. Is this a stage or should I be worried?  Today when I was playing tug or war with her, I stopped and she was still in play mode and bit my stomach pretty hard.

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
AMarineLovesMe
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:25 PM

It's nothing to be worried about if you stop it now.  Whenever it bites you, stop playing with it.  Redirect it to one of it's toys instead.  It's like a toddler, lots of redirection lol.

Join us at A Different Kind of Normal to ask for advice, start a debate, or just chat.

lyott07
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:27 PM

My boxer had this phase. My husband always slapped her in the mouth and say no. She would try to play bite back, but has never hurt us.

my son loves his dog.

Lupe

lcappytan05
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:28 PM

puppies use their mouths to explore. all you need to do is redirect. when she bites, say a firm "no" and put a toy in place instead....or just completely shut down and ignore her until she stops....dogs love attention whether it be negative or positive...so if you just ignore them, the behavior stops most of the time...

Army wife to Chad (12/28/2007) army

Mommy to Jeffrey (10/14/2009) baby boy

Just_Bethy
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:31 PM

The vet told us never to play tug of war with our dogs and they don't always recognise it as a game rather a 'war' to win to the toy and that can lead to aggresion....I know lots of dogs that enjoy it but one of mine took it seriously.... 

Drillers Wife, Toughest Job In The Oil Field.

FooLynRoo
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:31 PM

You are going to get 100 different views.I have german shepherds and can only tell you what I did.

I went with teaching my baby boy who I got at 9 weeks, GOOD bite and bad bite,

He was allowed to gnaw gently on my hand if and when i offered it to him and if he bit too hard I yelped, he learned a soft bite and a bad bite.

I did not allow him to use his mouth on me during any type of play situation. If he did, I reacted as an angry dog. and would roll him on his back and often put my face over his neck until he submitted.

i feel with large dogs especially a dominance and clear lines have to be drawn. My boy is now 120lbs and still loves to lay between my husband and I, and occasionally take my hand into his mouth and mouth it for a few minutes before going to sleep.

My girl,  we rescued at 10 months, her only oral problem is submissive licking - ugggghhh

Good luck!

stressed_in_ar
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:35 PM

We have a boxer... He is very rowdy but has never offered to bite my kids... My 4 year old plays with him.. Most generally they are very kid friendly... I have never seen a mean boxer

BakedBean999
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:36 PM

Quoting AMarineLovesMe:

It's nothing to be worried about if you stop it now.  Whenever it bites you, stop playing with it.  Redirect it to one of it's toys instead.  It's like a toddler, lots of redirection lol.

This.  Boxers are a great breed with kids. 

Ree12
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:41 PM

I'm not saying boxers are mean but they can develop dominance issues which is why obedience training and socializing should be started as soon as possible. I rescue pitbulls and I find redirection and consistancy are extremely important. If the play biting is a concern then you should make sure your pup knows that as soon as the bite occurs, playtime will stop. You might also not want to play tug with a dominant type breed. Try less mouth aggressive games.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)