Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

KIDS DO NEED WHOLE MILK!!!!!

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 11:36 PM
  • 123 Replies

It is a proven fact that children should drink whole milk until they're 5. It has to do with the fats in the milk. Fats are needed from age 1 to help the nervous system to develop correctly. I love how moms swear that kids don't need whole milk and foods with fats in it. My husband was asking the ped about it after he learned this is anatomy. Even the peds agree that they need it. That's why WIC give WHOLE MILK TO KIDS UNDER 5!

EDIT: IF YA'LL ACTUALLY READ ALL OF THIS POST INCLUDING MY REPLIES...IT SAYS HUSBAND LEARNED THIS IN ANATOMY. HE'S IN NURSING SCHOOL, THE CREDIBLE SOURCE IS HIS TEACHER WHO IS A DR AND HIS ANATOMY BOOK WHICH I CANT EXACTLY COPY TO THE COMPUTER FOR ALL TO READ WITHOUT USE OF A SCANNER WHICH I DONT HAVE. I ALSO SAID MY WIC OFFICE STILL GIVES IT UP TILL AGE 5. MY CHILD IS NOT UNDERWEIGHT OR OVERWEIGH. MILK IS GOOD FOR HER. ARGUE THAT ITS NOT ALL YOU WANT. SHES NEVER HAD ANY MAJOR ILLNESSES AND AS MANY TIMES AS SHE HAS FALLEN OFF STUFF BECAUSE SHES SUPER HYPER SHE HAS NEVER BROKEN ANYTHING. SHES EVEN FALLEN DOWN THE STAIRS AND DIDNT BREAK ANYTHING. (BABYSITTER WAS SUPPOSED TO BE WATCHING HER AND WASNT SO IT WASNT MY FAULT AND THE SITTER WAS FIRED AFTERWARDS.) I DIDNT POST THIS TO ARGUE WITH THE DRAMA QUEENS ON THIS SITE. i WAS STATING A FACT THAT WAS LEARNED AT SCHOOL AND CONFIRMED BY OUR PEDIATRICIAN.

JUST GOES TO SHOW THAT YA'LL WILL ARGUE ABOUT ANYTHING. GEES...I REALLY HATE THIS SITE. A YEAR AND A HALF AGO IT WAS FOR ADVICE AND NOW ITS ALL ABOUT DRAMA. WHAT CHANGED? ARE YALL REALLY BORED WITH YOUR OWN LIVES THAT YOU HAVE TO FIGHT IN EVERY SINGLE POST AND WILL ONLY REPLY IF ITS SOMETHING YOU FEEL YOU CAN ARGUE OR CAUSE DRAMA ABOUT?

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 11:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
zoiezmom
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 11:37 PM
wic only gives whole milk till 2. get your facts straight.
ready_for2
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 11:37 PM

kids dont NEED milk...they can get those fats elsewhere. i use hemp milk, it has GOOD fats in it and has more nutrition than cow milk. omega 3 and 6, 10 amino acids, MORE calcium, vit D, protein, and more! also NO sugar!

inspain
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 11:38 PM

IF you give them milk at all, it really should be whole unless the child has issues digesting fats or is overweight. 

The only appropriate attitude for man to have about the big questions, is not the arrogant certitude that is the hallmark of religion, but doubt. Doubt is humble and that is what man needs to be, considering that human history is just a litany of getting shit dead wrong. - Bill Maher
BlessedToBMommy
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 11:38 PM

I agree, but wic here in Florida just stopped providing it for kids over 2, only 1 year olds get whole milk, 2-5 get 1% or fat free....

inspain
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 11:38 PM

That stuff is great!  But it can be a bitch to find....

Quoting ready_for2:

kids dont NEED milk...they can get those fats elsewhere. i use hemp milk, it has GOOD fats in it and has more nutrition than cow milk. omega 3 and 6, 10 amino acids, MORE calcium, vit D, protein, and more! also NO sugar!

The only appropriate attitude for man to have about the big questions, is not the arrogant certitude that is the hallmark of religion, but doubt. Doubt is humble and that is what man needs to be, considering that human history is just a litany of getting shit dead wrong. - Bill Maher
graciejoe
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 11:39 PM

I think the age is two.  That's cows milk is actually a substitute for the breast milk they're supposed to be getting.  I'm just sayin'.

kirstee_roozen

maybe your wic office does but ours gives it till theyre 5 and give it to new mothers also EVEN IF THEYRE NOT BREASTFEEDING 

Luna091306

My pediatrician told me dd didn't need it anymore at age 2. My family still drinks it because everything else tastes like milky water. Yuck.  

"Religion is dangerous because it allows human beings, who don't have all the answers, to think they do."

~ The Dems and the Reps remind me of my kids ~

One is always pointing out the bad things that the other is doing in hopes that I don't notice all the bullshit he is trying to get away with...

I'm not fooled by my own kids and I'm not fooled by Politicians.

MommynMonster

If Ds could have dairy, I'd feed him whole milk but we're on hemp milk, easier to digest and allergen free :D

K.a.C.87

lol agree....and kids after 2 dont need those extra calories!!!

Quoting zoiezmom:

wic only gives whole milk till 2. get your facts straight.

i am a 21 year old Wisconsin mama to my precious daughter, Eliahna Maree, loving fiance to lee, pregnant with our little boy!! (1.26.10) Bryant Allen. Disposible diapering, ERFing, breastfeeding, NON-CIO, Vaxing mommy turned to NON-VAXing!

visit our family at -- http://nichclem07.blogspot.com/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)