Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

anybody with knowledge in health foods and drinks help please

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 11:38 PM
  • 9 Replies

ok so i am not a health food person i am a junk food junkie and since i had my third child in january i have put on some weight im not real comfortable with my mom says i should cut out a lot of my sodas that my stepdad has lost a lot of weight that way ok so i have to have something sweet to drink i love big red it is the best i drink on average of ten cokes a day and i know i know bad but i have a weakness for sugar and caffine so i want to cut down to 1-3 a day but i need something healthy but that taste good can not drink water all day maybe a glass or two but i hate water it has no taste so i bought a bunch of these crystal light deals and they taste great but now my g-ma says they have aspertame in it that is really bad for you so do you have any addvice for me on any of this if the aspertame would be better than all my cokes or if there is something else good out there i could try

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 11:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
LeslieSS
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 11:41 PM

Flavored waters, koolaid sugar free, Propel is Awesome:)

There really isn't much besides water thats good for you to have a lot of.

Riahsmom1
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 11:41 PM

Lol cut out one a day and drink PLENTY of water!!!  Aspartame is bad for you not to mention all the dyes and other crap crystal light has in it!  One soda a day should be okay as long as you make yourself stick to it.  If you must have sugary drinks, why not drink fruit juice? 

Positive Parents..........Right this way:

This group is for moms who want their children to be respectful and well-rounded individuals without sacrificing their individuality and maintaining a great relationship with them throughout it all!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/107129

Ree12
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 11:42 PM

actually alot of sodas are made with aspartame and are bad for you. Try making your own teas and lemonades and sweetening them with honey or truvia or one of the other brands using the stevia plant. They are sold at health food stores and usually the sales people are really helpful

FL2AK
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 11:46 PM

The Propel mixes are great.  When I quit drinking soda I used the Propel with my water.  Now I do not even need the mix anymore.  I just drink plain water.  You can also get powdered mix from GNC that is pretty good and very healthy to mix with your water.   

TheSinFamily
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 11:49 PM

HOLY COW! that's a lot of soda! I dont even drink 10 cokes in 2 months, let alone a day. It doesn't sound like you have a "weakness for sugar and caffeine" it sounds more like an addiction. The only way to overcome that high amount of daily sugar and caffeine intake is cutting it down and eventually getting to 0-1 a day. Water truly is the best drink, and those crystal light things aren't any better or healthier for you than soda (or any high sugar drink). Fresh lemon juice gives it a little flavor, but maybe start with small glasses of water. Maybe make a deal with yourself that for every sip you take of soda, you also take a same amount of sip of water. Or use a child's size cup and drink one cup of water an hour. .good luck :))

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 11:50 PM

Quoting Ree12:

actually alot of sodas are made with aspartame and are bad for you. Try making your own teas and lemonades and sweetening them with honey or truvia or one of the other brands using the stevia plant. They are sold at health food stores and usually the sales people are really helpful

That is what i was going to suggest... Home brewed teas so she can monitor how much sugar she puts in.  Green tea tastes great and helps a person speed up metabolism to lose weight.  We do regular black (lipton) tea here decaf with tiny bit of sugar and honey. Another way to spuce up your water is to add a slice of lemon or orange to your glass.  10 cokes a day will definitely pack on the pounds since that is about 1000-2000 calories a day of empty sugar/caffeine  Diet sodas are not safe either for the asparatame part.  You may want to go to a healthy eating store and see if someone there can help you.  Whole foods sells all natural soda as well as most grocery stores.  I love cola myself but try to limit myself one per day.

terrabiglieri
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 11:56 PM

well soda can really add A LOT of calories to your diet, and thats whats bad for you. Those crystal lights arnt so bad for you, soda is much worse. 10 sodas a day is about 1500 calories a day...and most women only need 1800-2000 calories a day. So pretty much you can drink your entire calories a day in just soda! You really need to just cut it out completely and drink water or those crystal lights. If not you will only gain more weight. When you do this for like 2 weeks, you wont crave it as much. When you really do want a soda occationally it should be diet! And occationally is like 1-2 a week! LOL

ashleykitchens
by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 12:07 AM

thank you for all your advice im a bad sugar junkie lol wasnt raised to eat or drink healthy and this is a big step for me to try to cut out my sodas they keep me sane lol well the caffine does anyways thank you for your advice i am def going to cut out some soda just gonna do it a little at time as of today ive cut down to 3 a day and im gonna try to make my way to 1 a day or maybe 2 a week but its gonna be hard cause i just love them and im gonna try to drink more water but i do think the crystal light is better than nothing so ill try it for now and maybe eventually ill get used to just the water because i NEVER drink water thank you so much ladies

Amber115
by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 12:16 AM

The main ingredient in soda is corn syrup. Corn syrup tricks your body. It doesn't use it the same way it uses sugar (which gets turned into energy). It treats it like it is a fat (and we know where that goes LOL). The reason you keep wanting the soda is because corn syrup makes you hungry and wanting more. Your head know it should have water, but the corn syrup is tricking your mind.

Aspartame (and any other chemical sweetener) is really bad for you as well (can cause cancer and stuff), but at least your body doesn't think it is a fat to process. This should be a good way to wean yourself from the soda, but you will need to get of this too for the sake of your health. A better way to get the sweet is real sugar or honey (preferable raw honey). There are also some newer sweeteners that are just as good and still all natural.

Just by getting rid of all those soda's everyday (about 2000 calories) you will watch the weight drop off you!

Quoting ashleykitchens:

thank you for all your advice im a bad sugar junkie lol wasnt raised to eat or drink healthy and this is a big step for me to try to cut out my sodas they keep me sane lol well the caffine does anyways thank you for your advice i am def going to cut out some soda just gonna do it a little at time as of today ive cut down to 3 a day and im gonna try to make my way to 1 a day or maybe 2 a week but its gonna be hard cause i just love them and im gonna try to drink more water but i do think the crystal light is better than nothing so ill try it for now and maybe eventually ill get used to just the water because i NEVER drink water thank you so much ladies

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)