Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids with seizures

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 11:52 PM
  • 8 Replies

I have a few questions for moms who have children who have or have had seizures.

1) what does it look like when they have one

2) they can have them in their sleep right? do they wake up during one?

the reason i am asking is b/c the past few nights my sons been acting strange. the day goes as normal, plain as can be. but this is the third night hes been having sleeping problems. 3 days ago i put him down and he just screamd and cried when he usually goes to sleep. went in to check on him, and he had thrown up. tonight i put him down and after about an hour he was screaming. i checked on him and he seemed very strange. like moving very wierd, almost jerking repetetively. i dont know if he was fully awake- i looked at his eyes and they seemd darker- maybe dilated? i held him and he calmed down, gave him his binky and he went back to sleep.

so should i be worried? have it checked out? thank you for your help

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 11:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
hisbabybat
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 11:59 PM

K well my little man doesn't have seizures, but my DH did when he was younger and his mom told me a lot about them (they're not TOO different than what he has sometimes now)

1. It depends what kind of seizures. Most likely if he isn't moving about much, biting his tongue, etc. than he may be having petite mal seizures. (also known as "absence seizures") when the person is awake this may not even appear to be anything- they may stare into space all of the sudden, or sometimes fall and have to catch on to the closest wall/object/etc. Sometimes there is slight jerking or twitching. These may only last for a few seconds, but can still have some serious effects. 

Grand Mal seizures on the other hand would involve more "flailing around" and a loss of consciousness.

2. yes you can absoluely have them in your sleep, and in DH's experience they usually do NOT cause him to wake up, but he acts and feels strange when he does wake up.

Whether he is having seizures or not, the symptoms you described are definitely concerning and I would have him checked out ASAP and also keep track of any further symptoms.  

ymom3
by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 12:06 AM

My brother has seizures and I have witnessed him having them 2 or 3 times. When he has them he is usually asleep and his whole body just like jerks really bad (likes makes the whole bed shake). The first time he had one he almost died he had foam coming out of his mouth and was turning blue. He usually stays  passed out for atleast 10 mins. after he has one. We just have to make sure he is breathing while he is passed out. The first time he had one he wet and dirtied his pants while having the seizure. When he does come to from being passed out he has no idea what happend we have to tell him.

momof2asd9701
by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 7:22 AM

I would on the phone to the doctor instead of on the computer posting this. There is diffenetly something going on there that needs checked out.

epilepsymom
by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 8:43 AM

Hi,

My daughter has seizures.  Many many seizures.  She is on 4 different seizure meds.  You absolutely can have them in your sleep.  Seizures look like many different things.

One is starring off into space.  I call it the lost in space look.  One is drops.  She falls down to the ground for no reason and just stays down.

THe GrandMals are the scarriest becuase they are convulsing all over the place and can wet them selves.  I have learned that my dd can not take baths at all anymore, only showers.  Every time she is in the tub she has a Grand Mal seizure. 

I would call your pediatrician and report what is going on.   Let him decide if its seizure related or something different.  Let me know if you need more information.  I have TONS of information on Seizures.

mamato2cuties
by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 8:56 AM

My son has Epilepsy, and seizures can present themselves in many mays. My son has absence seizure whre he wil stare off into space, also one side of his body arm and leg at the same time jump in his sleep. One day he was walking in a counter clockwise circle say ummm ummm ummm repeatedly that was seizure activity, another time he jumped out of the bath tub screaming the noise mommy the noise that was the begininng of a seizure.  My son used to vomit in his sleep when he was two(now 4) and his peditrician said it could possibly be seizure activity(now we now it was). So I would def. give a call to your sons ped. it cant hurt to check! And if it is seizure activity they will put him on meds and he will be fine!!! Good luck mama!! I will be praying for you all!

wedding countdown

scutrone
by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Hi there.  First off, having had experience with two of my children and seizures, I would say contact your ped ASAP.  Better yet, if you can, contact a pediatric neurologist.  My oldest daughter had grand mal seizures when she was six months old and it is one of the most frightening things a parent can witness in their children.  Fortunately, I knew what was happening and was able to contact paramedics who came to assist her and guided me through the process during the seizure.  She had a series of three more over a period of two months afterward, two of those times she spent time in the hospital enduring a series of tests, including MRI and PET.  The neurologist diagnosed it as epileptic.  Fortunately, she has not had another once since and is now 7 1/2.  My younger daughter had petit mal seizures, where she would have a vacant stare and be unresponsive for a few seconds when she was between 18 months and 3 years old.  She too was tested.  She ultimately grew out of hers as well, but in both my kids cases, there is always a possibility of them returning.  Sadly, we have members on both sides of our family who have dealt with seizures in their lifetime.  It is absolutely necessary to get a proper diagnosis.  Wish you and your son the best of luck.

mitty18
by Gold Member on Oct. 30, 2009 at 12:02 PM

My two year old has had seizures since he was two weeks old, my niece since she was a year and myself from five until 17 years of age.

There are many many types of seizures that you can have.
My son and niece both have absent seizures. These are called by many differnt names but its where the person will space out, and you can't get their attention. When my son has one, his eyes look like what you described. They last anywhere from 10 seconds to three minutes but can be shorter/longer with each person. My niece has this type and hers usulaly only last about 15 to 30 seconds. I had that type and mom said mine were around 2 minutes long.

You can have the seizures where your whole body or half your body shakes all crazy. I forget the name of these, butt hey are the scariest to witness IMO. My son shakes all over my niece only on her left side

You can have them awak or asleep. My son has both, In his sleep his body jerks repeatedly and he wakes up screaming unconsoledly for hours at a time. Freaky to see and hard to deal with. For him those are the hardest on him, and those are the ones that he has such a hard time iwth cause of hte screaming. And he'll still be asleep while he is screaming and thrashing about. When it sover he goes all limp and the next day is fine, other then being a bit tired.

There is a type where you will just allt he sudden drop, and just lay there, my son has that one, neice doesn't. I didn't have this one either. I did'nt know what it was until it happened to him a coupel months ago, the doctor said it was a new type of seizure he was having. Luckily he already had a saftey helmet he has to wear in case he does this on concreate..He already has had two concussions due to falling from seizures.

He has had the type where you puke in the middle of hte night...he would wake up vomit and go straight back to sleep. Also told it was a siezure activity.

When he was a Newborn he would quit breathing during his seizures and had to wear a monitor until he was six months old. They can be scary...you def. need to have your son checked out. Try to videotape the events that seems to help with DXing since the kids never wanna do it at hte doctors office lol. Plus not all kids with epilepsy will have adnormal test results...my son never had one test come back adnormal. As it was explained to me its because their tests will only be adnormal if there is seizure activity going on at the time of the testing.  So try ot record it and take it wth you when you go...good luck momma!

Alieda
by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 5:42 PM

I would tell you to have him check out at once , the jerking is sometihng my oldest sone does whenhe has one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)