Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is it safe to take benadryl and albuteral at the same time?

Posted by on Nov. 1, 2009 at 10:42 AM
  • 22 Replies

My son who is 15 months is taking benadryl at night time to help with a runny nose and cough he has. It works great at night.

I was wondering do you think its safe if i give him the albuteral in the day time. (it says 1/2 teaspoon every 4 hours) his cough sounds like its getting in his lungs and i have a bottle of albuterol the DR gave me back in April for bronchitis he had, but it went away so i still have alot left.

I dont want to call the DR to ask, becuase they might get mad finding out i didnt give him the whole bottle over 6 months ago like i was told to.

by on Nov. 1, 2009 at 10:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
All4you
by on Nov. 1, 2009 at 10:43 AM

I wouldn't give him either without talking to your doctor. 15 months is kind of young for both medications. Albuterol is an asthma medication not a cough medicine.

Sign by Danasoft - SURPRISE! I found you!
Jaclynx3
by on Nov. 1, 2009 at 10:44 AM

as far as alb. I cant imagine them saying finish it all--"mostly" it is as needed.  also they give you a lot and often (well me they do)

I take alb. with everything , but that is me. I dont know the real answer -sorry

Jaclynx3
by on Nov. 1, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Quoting All4you:

I wouldn't give him either without talking to your doctor. 15 months is kind of young for both medications. Albuterol is an asthma medication not a cough medicine.

albuterol is to open airways~!

cjsmom0206
by on Nov. 1, 2009 at 10:46 AM

I'm pretty sure you can. I have taken albuteral with allegra and mucinex D at the same time. 

myfoursonsks
by on Nov. 1, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Never give your child a prescribed medication without being instructed to do so.  If the doctor didn't give your son the albuterol for this situation, do not use it.  You need to talk to the doctor about what is appropriate for this situation and do not be playing doctor yourself.

WAHMof3boys

Yes it is safe. I just went threw this myself with my son. I have been giving him Benadryl for his allergies and the dr put him on albuteral. I asked him if it was ok to give him the Benadryl still and he said yes, to help with his runny nose.

Albuteral is used in breathing treatments though. Unless he is having a really hard time breathing I wouldn't give it to him. I would recommend going to the Drs first before you start the treatments. Stick with the Benadryl right now and keep him out of the chill of air. Try not to have your  home to hot either that stuffs them up also. You can even try some Vicks on his chest and back, and a little on his feet than put socks on his feet. There are a lot of little tricks to do before you start medicating. Plus if he has been stuff you want him to cough all that stuff out and get rid of it, so coughing isn't always a bad thing. Just have to teach him to spit the flem out...good luck with that one.

Sorry you have to go threw this with your little one, it sucks. Hope he feel better soon. Good Luck.

rayzensun

albuterol works by opening up the avioli in your lungs,

but you need a doctor to tell you when you can take it because it is classified as a steroid and if your sons lungs are covered in phlem it might not work but could give him a seizure.

take the benadryl and talk to the doctor

headeraspergerwomanmetteksten-1.gif picture by rayzensun
luvingrl
by on Nov. 1, 2009 at 10:49 AM

You dont have to call the doctor, you can call the pharmacy and ask them!

Good luck!

Kestrel1
by on Nov. 1, 2009 at 10:52 AM

This.

Albuterol is a smooth muscle relaxant, (hence its use in things like terbutaline for preterm labor) and a stimulant to boot.  It works with asthma by helping the muscles stop contracting in the vicious cycle of cough-get tighter-cough-get tighter when COUGHING is actually causing more inflamation.

It wont stop the coughing, but helps release the irritated passages. 

It wont do a thing for congestion other than wire the kid for sound.  I remember as a kid getting albuterol doped after taking a dose when congestion was the problem and racing heart, faster breathing, dilated eyes and peeing like a race horse.

An expectorant might be a better alternative if he has *congestion*

Quoting All4you:

All4you
by on Nov. 1, 2009 at 10:55 AM

I know what it is. My son has asthma and has used it often. It is not a cough medicine.

Quoting Jaclynx3:

Quoting All4you:

albuterol is to open airways~!

Sign by Danasoft - SURPRISE! I found you!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)