Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

punishment while potty training

Posted by on Nov. 7, 2009 at 11:29 AM
  • 58 Replies

I have way too many friends/relatives who punish their kids during potty training.

I will never understand how a person thinks punishment works during this critical time.

I would love to know your thoughts.

Is it appropriate to punish your kids while they are still getting the hang of the toilet?

Did you spank your kids because they wet their underpants and it was an inconvenience to you?

Once your children were PT did you spank them when they had an accident?

by on Nov. 7, 2009 at 11:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
godsgirl26
by ♥Char2theMaine♥ on Nov. 7, 2009 at 11:31 AM

i Never spanked my kids while they were still getting the hang of things. that is crazy 

mother_of_JGM
by on Nov. 7, 2009 at 11:32 AM

That is the most absurd and outlandish thing I have heard in a while, I cant believe they are punishing them? so some kids dont get it as quick as others, that will just make it worse, and afraid of something they dont yet have control over! Im sorry that kinda makes me sick.

mnmsmom2008

I never spanked but I did take privleges away when my daughter would have accidents after she was potty trained.  I knew for a fact though that she was messing around instead of going potty.  She had already been going potty for quite some time then started regressing.  This happened about 2 or 3 times, I would take Tv time away and start giving positive reinforcements again to get her back on track.  I would never spank a child for going pee/poop in their pants tho no matter what age.

Lbluv20

I dont personally think Spanking is really an adequte punishment for accidents. I mean, if he ran in the street or put himself in danger despite instructions, then yes, spanking seems nessisary to me. But an accident? no lol. My son is 3 and is potty trained now, but he does still have accidents because he gets to involved with playing and stuff. So yes, i do "punish" i tell him that he is a big boy now and needs to go in the big potty and it makes mommy mad when he goes in his pants because she knows he can go in the potty.  He hasnt had an accident in weeks since i started doing that, so i think its working ! lol

Sportbominable
by Platinum Member on Nov. 7, 2009 at 11:32 AM

No way, but I have punished my 4 year old who thought it was ok to poop and pee upstairs because he didn't feel like coming downstairs to use the bathroom.

littleluvkitty
by on Nov. 7, 2009 at 11:33 AM

no but i do bribe. like if he goes number two he gets to pick a sticker and a lolly pop if he goes number one he gets a lolly pop, if he has an accident he does not get one of those treats. my kids have all done well with potty training.

EmmysMom85

I won't spank period.

I can't believe someone would punish their kids while they are trying to learn something.

stpalmsgirl

We are currently potty training and I never spank or punish dd for accidents. If they happen, they happen and I will just tell her to try to make it to the potty the next time. One of my friends spanks and locks her dd in her room if she has an accident, she's just like my dd only two and besides that the spanking doesn't help much I think it is an awful thing to do. My dd is already embarrassed enough when she has an accident, I don't need to spank her for it on top of it.

EmmysMom85
by on Nov. 7, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Quoting littleluvkitty:

no but i do bribe. like if he goes number two he gets to pick a sticker and a lolly pop if he goes number one he gets a lolly pop, if he has an accident he does not get one of those treats. my kids have all done well with potty training.

Positive Reinforcement!! Love it! I agree! I do the same thing. 

godsgirl26
by ♥Char2theMaine♥ on Nov. 7, 2009 at 11:34 AM

now just say she is potty tranined and she knows to go to the bathroom and she just pees on herself because she dont feel like going to the bathroom then i would take things away. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN