Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I NEED SLEEP

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 2:13 AM
  • 4 Replies

My Daughter who is 2 1/2 have been taking Benadryl because she has an allergy and of course I give it to her at bedtime as instructed.  The Doctor (who is not her Pediatrician) took her off the medication  because it makes her sleepy and put her on a totally different antihistamine and after that it threw it all off track. Prior to taking the Benadryl she was on a sleeping schedule the only thing the Benadryl did was help her allergies and helped her sleep during the night now after getting off of it she has been going to sleep early granted but will get up after an hour or two and will not go to sleep till 5 am! I have done the whole schedule thing but it's not working. Today she went to bed at a quarter to 9pm after a full blown out tantrum with hair pulling, biting, slapping and the works and woke up at 11pm and refuses to go to sleep. She doesn't take naps during the day so I am just exhausted. Please help I feel as if I have my hands tied.

Also she is really attached to me and wont let her Father help her no matter how much he tries so, the responsibilities with my Daughter falls mainly on my lap.

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 2:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MixedCooke
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 2:41 AM

1) Start bedtime prep by 8pm

2) Warm bubble bath

3) Warm milk

4) Full body massage with Lavendar lotion (Johnson & Johnson lotion but i forgot the name) with lights dim and hum lullabyes while doing it (Twinkle Twinkle, Silent Night, whichever)

5) Lullabye type books

6) Cuddle time

My daughter is usually down for the count after the full body massage!  Wouldnt you pass out if you got a full body massage at bedtime.  I assure you, this will work! My daughter is 2 though, so I dont know if that makes much difference.  As for sleep, maybe think about part-time daycare.

sherry132
by Ruby Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 2:44 AM

antihistamines can cause children to become hyperactive and aggressive. I think it may be that the med she is on is making her stay awake. Try switching it to morning time and wait a few days. If that doesn't work contact your doctor. She doesn't sound like she is getting enough sleep right now.

My dr. changed up my meds and I didn't sleep right for a month. It turned out the meds were what was causing my problem.

raynesmommy1
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 2:51 AM

Quoting sherry132:

antihistamines can cause children to become hyperactive and aggressive. I think it may be that the med she is on is making her stay awake. Try switching it to morning time and wait a few days. If that doesn't work contact your doctor. She doesn't sound like she is getting enough sleep right now.

My dr. changed up my meds and I didn't sleep right for a month. It turned out the meds were what was causing my problem.

The one she is on now doesn't make her do anything out of the ordinary the medication she is on now instructs me to give it to her in the morning she naturally is tempermental I talked to her Pediatrician because she goes into horrible tantrums and she said she is just going through extreme terrible twos but yea, I am tired I have been going to sleep at 5 am for the past 7-8 days and I am about to just crash and burn!

raynesmommy1
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 2:54 AM

Quoting MixedCooke:

1) Start bedtime prep by 8pm

2) Warm bubble bath

3) Warm milk

4) Full body massage with Lavendar lotion (Johnson & Johnson lotion but i forgot the name) with lights dim and hum lullabyes while doing it (Twinkle Twinkle, Silent Night, whichever)

5) Lullabye type books

6) Cuddle time

My daughter is usually down for the count after the full body massage!  Wouldnt you pass out if you got a full body massage at bedtime.  I assure you, this will work! My daughter is 2 though, so I dont know if that makes much difference.  As for sleep, maybe think about part-time daycare.

I'll try that at this point I am desperate

Her schedule before all this

Breakfast when she gets up

Lunch at 1pm

Play time

Dinner at 5-6 pm

Bath at 7 pm

Quiet time till she goes to bed which is at no matter than 10pm

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)