Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does your kids have school on Veteran's day?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:28 AM
  • 15 Replies

Ours do.

I always thought they were off? Unless the cemeteries always had the ceremonies on other days besides veterans day i know they were off. I also always take her to the veteran's home to hand out red,white and blue carnations on veteran's day so i know they were always off.

But not this year.

Would it be wrong to keep her out of school that day? They are having ceremonies that we always go to that day; and like i said we go to the vet center and do all kinds of things with the vets there.

Does anyone else feel its wrong for the kids to  be in school this day?

I want her to be in school; but i also feel she will be learning that day by doing what we always do. So I'm torn.  I feel its a bunch of BS to have them in school on veteran's day of all days.

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
1busymomma03
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:32 AM

Our kids have school that day. I don't remember them ever being off for it. They usually have a ceremony there at the school. Last year my DD took her great grandpa (a WW2 veteran) with her to be recoginzed during the ceremony. It was a very nice ceremony and it meant alot to her great grandpa. This year, we somehow missed the deadline to sign him up to go again. =(

lizmarie1975
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:33 AM

My kids have the day off but to be honest...I would mind it if they had to go to school.

canegirl0700
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:34 AM

My kids are out on Veteran's Day every year and they always have a Veteran's Day parade downtown. I think it is great that they are out, I want them to know that the people that have fought and died for our country need to be honored.

myfoursonsks
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:35 AM

My kids are out.  But, the schools they go to are either 100% students from military families or the high majority.

cryssi_renee

This is what they do in our area.  My Grandpa would go ever year, he was also a WWII veteran. 

Quoting 1busymomma03:

Our kids have school that day. I don't remember them ever being off for it. They usually have a ceremony there at the school. Last year my DD took her great grandpa (a WW2 veteran) with her to be recoginzed during the ceremony. It was a very nice ceremony and it meant alot to her great grandpa. This year, we somehow missed the deadline to sign him up to go again. =(

mrsmoore02

DS is out, but I have to go.

Hanaas_mommy
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:36 AM

my daughter does not have school but living in a military town it does not surprise me.  

armywifenmommie

my son doesnt and to be honest i cant even remember if i ever had vets day off when i was in school. imo it wouldnt be wrong to keep her out if that is what u choose to do and you want to continue with the tradition of goin to see the vets like you guys do. even though vets day is a major holiday..to me..most places dont think of it has being one

kissyfur29

Well our kids here have until thursday off. The school has some training or something like that mon and tuesday and weds is a holiday and finally on thursday school will resume here. Fun fun.

betsyabel
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:37 AM

My kids have school on Veteran's Day & always have.  They do a Veteran's program at the schools & there are ceremonies around town on Sunday.  If you have a tradition of doing those things on that day, I say go ahead and keep her home to take part in it, or just take her out for a few hours. 

As for me, my kids have enough days off this month.  Friday is 1/2 day, next Thursday & Friday are conferences and no school, then the next week it's Thurs & Fri off for Thanksgiving.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)