Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

if you sell items on CL or Ebay.. i have a question..

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:20 AM
  • 6 Replies

im looking to clean out my closets and get rid of alot of things we dont use or need anymore that are just taking up space.. im new to selling online though.. so what do you think is better CL or Ebay? and what type of items sell well? what doesnt sell and is a waste of time to list... and any other tips..thanks

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mom2four1978
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:23 AM

Craigslist is better as far as not having to pay a fee or ship. However people treat it like a yard saleand want to negotiate prices. Also sometimes people don't show up. I've had that happen once but it was all good cause I just contacted the next person who had contacted me and asked if they still wanted to buy the item. If you use craigslist just make sure you pick a busy public location to meet with the buyer.

jackjack2.png picture by devilsadvocate1488

roxy85
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Craigs List is better IMO. You have no fees to pay and you don't have to worry about shipping cost. You can pretty much sell anything. If you're going to sell clothes or accessories you might get a better deal by doing them as a lot  as well as having an individual price (make it a better deal for the lot). Price things higher than you actually want to get and ask for the best offer. I know with Ebay you have to pay to post ads and you have to pay them a percentage of what you sell the item for. You might have to deal with shipping and potentially shady practices from people. I would only suggest Ebay if you're trying to make money doing this regularly. I know people who go to garage sales every weekend and buy things super cheap then jack up the prices on Ebay...

Proud Army Wife and Former Soldier...

baby development

AndreaOf3
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:38 AM

IMO ebay is much better.. You can sell things for way more on there..

deltacogirl
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:42 AM

I think it depends on what you are selling.  If you have rare items, or specialty items, then sell them on ebay.  Things like collectables, luxuary goods, records, stuff like that.  You have a much bigger range of people you can sell to that way.  You'll pay fees, but you'll typically also make more.  If its clothes and household stuff or baby stuff, sell it on Craigslist.  Its free and people pick up locally.

Tazz2
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Quoting deltacogirl:

I think it depends on what you are selling.  If you have rare items, or specialty items, then sell them on ebay.  Things like collectables, luxuary goods, records, stuff like that.  You have a much bigger range of people you can sell to that way.  You'll pay fees, but you'll typically also make more.  If its clothes and household stuff or baby stuff, sell it on Craigslist.  Its free and people pick up locally.

Rychelle
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:54 PM

thank you all so much for the advice!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)