Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Washington state

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:37 AM
  • 19 Replies

Are you from Washington state?  I have a few questions please =)

What can you tell me about areas/schools that are good and which to avoid?

How are the winters?

How are the summers?

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommySwiggles
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:39 AM

please bump for me if you are not and you look at my post.  thanks!

ProudMomma0226
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:40 AM

I am from Washington born and raised.. what part of washington would you like to know about??

The Summers are mild for the most park 70's,80's and occasional 90's but not often. Its really comfortable for sure.

The Winters well its cold. Like 40's most the time but it does get into the 30's and it does snow. Everyone there is usually pretty good with driving in the weather changes.

It does rain alot in Washington though.

YorkEricaL
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:41 AM

I was born and raised in Washington..now living in West Texas as of February.

What are are you moving to? Western? Eastern?

I am from Puyallup. Great schools. Great area. I miss is so much : (

JakeandEmmasMom
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:41 AM

I live in Washington.  The answers to all of those questions totally depends on which part of the state you are looking at. 

I grew up in Tacoma but now live in Vancouver which is on the Oregon border.  I totally love it here.  Last winter and this past summer were both fairly severe for these parts, but normally we only have a handful of snow days a year--and by snow days I mean there are a couple of inches on the ground at most.  Summers average in the high 80's I would say.  There is a fair amount of rain but not as much as people think. 

MommySwiggles
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:43 AM

Not sure about specifics for the area.  we are looking for a police officer job for DH which may require us to move.  I have thought that Washingtom may be a good choice but i wanted some more info first.

myfoursonsks
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:44 AM

Is there a certain city or area that you are interested in?

I would say Washington schools are very hit and miss.  Washington state as a whole is not ranked very high on their schools.  I think last I checked, they were like 47 out of the 50 states.  But, I also believe school is what you make of it.  If you, as a parent, require that your children put a lot of effort into school and you dedicate your time, it will be fine.

As far as weather, if you live in Western Washington around the Seattle/Tacoma area, it is going to rain the majority of the winter.  Snow is not common.  They did have the biggest snow storm in 17 years or something like that last winter.  Their "huge" snowstorm was not that bad compared to what I am used to growing up in the Midwest.  I think my town had about 5" of snow on the ground at the most.  The problem is that snow is such a rarity that they do not have the equipment or resources to properly handle it.

Outside of the winter, the weather is very mild for the most part.  It seems like it is always clear and sunny and beautiful. 

Last summer, we did have a heat streak for a week or two.  Again, these were record breaking temps. and not usual for this area.  Other than that, the summers are just wonderful.

ProudMomma0226
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:44 AM

well Puyallup is a good area, Lacey Olympia area, Everett, Spokane is pretty good (but there weather is more severe for both seasons)

JakeandEmmasMom
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Quoting MommySwiggles:

Not sure about specifics for the area.  we are looking for a police officer job for DH which may require us to move.  I have thought that Washingtom may be a good choice but i wanted some more info first.

That's cool.  What I can tell you is that I've never met a person who moved here from somewhere else that didn't like it here. 

lovinmykiddo07
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:47 AM

I'm not FROM Washington, but we are currently stationed in the McChord/Tacoma area. Not quite sure on the school areas, as my son is only 2 and will be going to school on base when he's old enough.

The winters are cold. It seems like each year that I've been here we've got more & more snow. First snow of the season people freak & forget how to drive so you'll be stuck on I-5 for hours.It rains a lot..which personally, I dont mind. I love the rain, but I've had a few friends who didnt cope with the rain so well & actually got depressed.

Summers actually get a lot hotter here than I thought. This summer it even got up to 103. Not very many houses/apartments have A/C so if you want one, you gotta buy one early because the stores will sell out FAST!

OH I forgot to add.. if your DH gets a job as a police officer in the Lakewood area I'm pretty sure he'll be busy. I wish someone would have warned us before moving here. We have a nice house, nice neighbors, but the crime rate is high. We had a drunk guy, in a stolen car, run the car into our house at 3 am, two weeks after we moved in.

myfoursonsks
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:48 AM

That is probably true for the most part.  I grew up in the Missouri/Kansas area and moved here (Tacoma area) in September of 2008 and I love it here.  I think it is just beautiful and the weather is so mild compared to what I am used to.  If you can deal with rain, rain, and more rain all winter...you will love it.  The good thing is that you don't have to really deal with huge ice and snow storms....unless you get over to Spokane. They always have some major weather episode going on it seems. 

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Quoting MommySwiggles:

That's cool.  What I can tell you is that I've never met a person who moved here from somewhere else that didn't like it here. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)