Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Soothing a babies cough?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:56 AM
  • 10 Replies

My 13 month old has a runny nose (clear) and a cough, its mostly when he's trying to sleep or laying down that it really bothers him.  And it's worse at night.

Any ideas on how to help him?  We put a humidifer in his room last night but it just made him worse, he was coughing non-stop for 2 hours until we turned it off.  I also did Baby Vicks, but it didn't seem to do anything.

He's not running a fever and is still playing and active and happy so I'm not too worried, I just want to help him sleep.

Thanks in advance.  :)

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Lilypie - (Cibd)

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nataliesmom0206
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Put a ton of that baby vicks on the bottom of his little feet then put socks on at night.  Also leave the humidifier on...it most likely wasnt making it worse but they just cough more at night.  You can run the shower super hot and sit in the bathroom with him for 20 minutes.  If it is croup you can take him out side in the night air and that usually helps too.  My daughter gets coughs all of the time.  Good luck to you!  hope something helps!

Katie...single mommy to a beautiful two year old girl...Natalie Kate

Codysmom22908
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Warm tea with honey, I have been using this on my son and I have good results. I just make it like I would make mine and he loves it!! But we drink ALOT of green tea--He has been drinking Green tea since 6 months old. Good Luck!!

CafeMom Tickers
KandiceN
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:43 AM

We don't drink tea.. it's safe for babies?

The humidifer diffently made his cough a lot worse.  He was sleeping when DH got home (he went to the store and picked one up) and wasn't coughing much but about 10 min after we had it on he was coughing awful for the 2 hours we had it on, but then we turned it off and his cough got a lot better after that. 

It's not croup, my DD had that, it was hell lol His just sounds like a phlegmy cough.

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Lilypie - (Cibd)

shajdinyak
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Our dr said to give dd benadryl and saline nose drops( nasal drip causing cough).  GL hope baby feels better.

angieluvsolivia
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:48 AM

Elevate the top of his mattress so that he sleeps with his head higher.  I would roll up thick towels and put them under, this did wonders for my daughter who had RSV twice once at 2 months and once at 4 months.

daisyn0071
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:49 AM

When my DD was 3 months old she had a terrible cough, no fever or anything else.  I tried the humidifier, Baby Vicks & tea & although it helped a lil, I still didn't feel comfortable that she was coughing so much....the Dr ended up giving us an inhaler & prescribed some syrup I had to give her with a syringe.  She only took the meds for 3 days & we used the inhaler only when needed now (which has been maybe 2 times a week if that)...

CafeMom Tickers
daisyn0071
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:50 AM

I have been giving my DD mint tea since she was 3 weeks old.  It helps with colic & digestion & she has never had any issues due to her drinking it.  I had it as a baby, my lil sister, my nieces, etc...

Quoting KandiceN:

We don't drink tea.. it's safe for babies?

The humidifer diffently made his cough a lot worse.  He was sleeping when DH got home (he went to the store and picked one up) and wasn't coughing much but about 10 min after we had it on he was coughing awful for the 2 hours we had it on, but then we turned it off and his cough got a lot better after that. 

It's not croup, my DD had that, it was hell lol His just sounds like a phlegmy cough.

humanjunglegym
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Elevate his mattress and use a humidifier, othewise there isn't much you can do.  Vicks scares me.  I think it's just the adult kind but I'm not sure but it can trick a baby into not breathing enough.  The menthol cools the lungs (feels like it) and can trick their body into thinking they are getting enough oxygen when they aren't. 

jessil83
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:51 AM

elevate his head while he sleeps, try a diff type of humidifier (if you used cool mist try warm). when my daughter was that age and her cough was that bad at night, we'd let her fall asleep on the couch than one of us stayed downstairs and slept on the couch. her head stayed elevated on the couch b/c she'd fall asleep sitting up and we'd just leave her that way.

humanjunglegym
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Do you have a cool or warm mist humidifier.  Cool mist are better.  Even if it is making him cough more, it's good to loosen up the phlegm so he coughs it out instead of it building up in his lungs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)