Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why are there gender roles?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 12:11 PM
  • 13 Replies

Why does the man have to be the one working?

Why does mom have to stay home with the kids?

Its the 21st Century. Why is it such a hard thing to accept that roles may be reversed or even shared equally?

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 12:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kays_Mama06
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 12:13 PM

I believe gender roles were man made and it's easier for people to just go with what's always been done then change things up a bit.

Ziggy-Stardust
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 12:15 PM

It doesnt have to be that way.  

If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

vatofamily
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 12:16 PM

Why not?  Some people don't like gender rules and it doesn't work.  Others do accept gender roles and it does work.  It's a personal preference.

totallysober
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 12:18 PM

because people are stupid.

Crazy4Mustangs
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 12:21 PM

Because that's how it's been for YEARS and YEARS. I don't agree with them but that's how people have been brought up to think, and it's sick. Try to find a Good Housekeeping from the 1950's or so. You'll be appauled.

CafeMom Tickers
MariaABC
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 12:34 PM

Quoting vatofamily:

Why not?  Some people don't like gender rules and it doesn't work.  Others do accept gender roles and it does work.  It's a personal preference.

Because its outdated, presumptuous, and unfair in some cases.

If DH is staying home with Baby and cooking and cleaning, he's seen as some sort of freakish experiment gone wrong to be avoided. (maybe not that extreme, but it is seen as odd, even though it really isn't all that odd). He's a parent. He's got 2 hands and legs. He's just as capable of pushing a vacuum as he is a lawn mower. I don't see the big whoop if he does the stuff around the house and I bring home the bacon.

If I can fix the car and he can whip up a great meal...so what?

Heavens forbid he's an involved father. :)

isra1986
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:33 PM

There are plenty of families that don't follow traditional gender roles.
It is the 21st century. Why can't some people accept that others are happy and love living in the traditional gender roles? Everyone has a choice how to live, why are people threatened by those of us who do decide to stay home and our husbands who work?

HeatherMae55
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:33 PM

UGH!  I hate the "traditional" way things have been....   Really, I do. 

My husband told me I was born in the wrong time, apparently I've been so outspoken about this sort of thing he tells me I should have been born in the 60's..

But, he loves me and agrees with me 100%

And I'm going to have a fit if someone says "God said it suppose to be this way"   *barf*

INTERRACIALLOVE.jpg interracial love image by bullfrog1723

isra1986
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:37 PM

And that is your right to live like that. Just as it is mine to live how I do. Why is your way better? Why is my way disgusting and appalling as the other posters put?
And BTW, my husband works and follows the traditional "man" role and is the best, most involved father I have ever seen.

Quoting MariaABC:

Quoting vatofamily:

Because its outdated, presumptuous, and unfair in some cases.

If DH is staying home with Baby and cooking and cleaning, he's seen as some sort of freakish experiment gone wrong to be avoided. (maybe not that extreme, but it is seen as odd, even though it really isn't all that odd). He's a parent. He's got 2 hands and legs. He's just as capable of pushing a vacuum as he is a lawn mower. I don't see the big whoop if he does the stuff around the house and I bring home the bacon.

If I can fix the car and he can whip up a great meal...so what?

Heavens forbid he's an involved father. :)

mandy716
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:44 PM

I hate gender stereotypes.  I believe that whatever works for a family is great, but I also believe that it should not be assumed that the woman is going to stay home and the husband is going to work. 

I work, my husband is a stay at home dad.  He does most of the cleaning, though I do vaccuum.  He does laundry, dishes all of that.  It is what works for my family.  I k,now for some it works better for the wife to stay home.  It doesn't make either of us better or worse, it is just the way it is.  I just get bothered when people tell me I am wrong for "Making" dh stay home with the kids and being selfish for not staying there myself

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)