Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wedding Expenses... Worth it or just take the cash?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 12:27 PM
  • 4 Replies

My friend just got married and said her parents spent $50K on the whole thing. Even she thought that was excessive. She told me later that she'd have been just as happy to have a smaller wedding and get the cash, cuz they sure needed it after they had their first kid and moved into their first house.

The fancy wedding didn't help put food on the table or pay the rent :)

In her defense, her Mother planned everything and didn't give her much say on anything (her own wedding).

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 12:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
livingrlovesong
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Im in the middle of planning my wedding, and its going to cost around $700 at the most.(Which includes both of our rings, my dress, wedding, and recpetion) I think $50K is a bit extreme, but if its your own money and someone else isn't paying for it, I vote for keeping your money, and only spending what you have to, especially if you have a baby and just moved into a house. I always wanted a big wedding as a child, but since I had kids, I have really learned that its not about "materalistic" things. We are inviting about 50-75 of our closetest friends and family. Thats really all that matters, your happiness and sharing it with your family and friends.

Randi- One Blessed MaMa & Soon To Be Wife
      in love   toddler girl   baby boy

Randi & Caleb   Emma Grace   Ethan Carter
          4*7*06         4*15*07       10*17*09

sll1976
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 12:52 PM

I'd rather the small wedding (we had about 20-30 people and it was a backyard reception) and then have the money.  The money could be spent on a honeymoon, things for the house, rent...so many things.

ktwister
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 12:58 PM

For me personally I'm too much of a control freak and when someone else is paying for your wedding you have to let go of that control.  From my experience the person paying usually has things go their way.

I would much rather do a wedding the way my future husband and I want, it may not be the most expensive or over the top wedding but I wouldn't care. It would be our way, with our final say. I would never want over 20 people at my wedding, I'm not comfortable being the center of attention, so I would much rather have only close family and friends near me.

Willowjade
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:04 PM

My husband and I got married a year and half ago.  It was a small wedding in our backyard (we live out in the country and have a very large picturesque back yard with creeks and large oak and maple trees)  The whole thing, decorations, dresses, DJ, tuxedos, cake, flowers everything cost about 3000.00.   It was a blast, we had a great time!  I wouldn't change it for anything, it was just how we wanted it.

I would have had the smaller wedding, and kept the additional money.  That kind of cash could really help get a newlywed couple off to a great start!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)