Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Someone please help me with a car seat question

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:33 PM
  • 14 Replies

Ok so I have a DD who will be 4 in December. Right now she is in a 5 point harness  and the shoulder straps are on the highest setting that they will go and are still 3-4 inches BELOW her shoulders. Her head is a little above the top of the seat, not much but still over it. she weighs 38 lbs. and I was looking at the high back boosters and it said min. weight is 30 lbs, so what I am wondering is, is she old enought tall enough adn is it safe enough for her to be switched to one. I want her to be safe as long as possible but I don't see the seat she is in as very safe...

Group Owner Breastfeeding Uncensored

Group admin. Young Old School Momma's

I am a mother to 2 beautiful girls, and my angel baby.

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MarchMarie
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:36 PM

What seat is she in now...

Neither a booster or the seat she is in now is safe/ideal.  

DaniJones86
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:40 PM

This is what she is in now... well something very similar

We want to get her something like one of these... give or take

Quoting MarchMarie:

DaniJones86
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:44 PM

BUMP

Ktkazblake
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:46 PM

When my dd was 4 and 32 lbs, she's on the small side, I put her in a booster and she's been fine ever since! Hope this helps

kimber2431
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:46 PM

bump

MarchMarie
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:48 PM

I would look into a Graco Nautilus or a Britax Regant or a Britax Frontier.

They have higher strap heights and for forward facing they always need to be above or jsut at the shoulders.

I would not booster her right now because she is a)still under 40lbs and that puts her at a greater risk of submarining and b) she is not 4 years old *edit- i see that she will be soon* which is the bare minimum according to many state laws.  She needs to be mature enough to sit right EVERY time you are in the car so the belt will protect her properly and many 4 year olds are not even mature enough.

BUT if you are determined to get a booster. The Turbo Booster is the way to go because it fits smaller riders better. 

kenziejosmommy
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:50 PM

Quoting DaniJones86:

Quoting MarchMarie:

I think these boosters are 4 and 40 lbs? Not for sure though!!! My nieces were in those 'larger' booster seats at 4 and in the small booster seats at 6... my niece is gunna be 8 in april and is so excited b/c 8 and 80 you can get out of the seat all together.. she's 54 lbs, not happenin LOL She's gunna be so bummed haha

danielsmommy2b
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:51 PM

My son is still harnessed in a Graco Nautilis. We LOVE it! He is 5 1/2 years old and weighs about 36 pounds. I highly reccomend it... I believe they are around $170, but watch closely for sales. I got my DD one at Target for 1/2 price a few months back, she is still RF though. I think I paid $106 for my son's with coupons and sales at Babies R Us.

MommyBoha
by Country Girl on Nov. 9, 2009 at 2:02 PM

First, she needs to be out of her current seat NOW. She can not ride,  in that seat anymore. It is incredibly unsafe.

That being said, 4 years old ok for a booster, but ideally, you need to keep her harnessed. My personal age for boostering is  6 years old. My almost 7 year old is still harnessed. The graco Nautlius is fabulous seat. Harnesses to 65lbs boosters to 100. But i agree with a PP if you ARE going to booster, get the graco turbobooster(and dont forget to put the screws in the armrests, they ARENT optional) and forget about the Evenflo booster.

Proud mom of Dylan, 6 years old, EH'd in a Britax Regent and Trinity, 3 years old,RF in a Britax Marathon.

DaniJones86
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Quoting kenziejosmommy:

Quoting DaniJones86:

Quoting MarchMarie:

I think these boosters are 4 and 40 lbs? Not for sure though!!! My nieces were in those 'larger' booster seats at 4 and in the small booster seats at 6... my niece is gunna be 8 in april and is so excited b/c 8 and 80 you can get out of the seat all together.. she's 54 lbs, not happenin LOL She's gunna be so bummed haha

No these are 30 - 100 lbs...

To all the other ladies thankyou for the answers... But is there something a little cheaper... I really can't afford that right now... I can do it for income tax but as most of you said... SHE NEEDS OUT OF HER CURRENT SEAT NOW... any others you would recommend

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)