Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Insurance is Insurance

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 2:50 PM
  • 14 Replies

Everywhere I've ever lived you've had 2 options.  Either pay for insurance, or prove you were financially able to pay for anything that may arise that insurance would normally be responsible for.  I've never heard anyone get into such an uproar over the car insurance issue as people have with the health insurance issue.

Why is it ok with you to have to have car insurance or be financially liable if you don't but not have to have health insurance or be financially liable if you don't?

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 2:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
randmmom05
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Interesting question. Im surprised the gov does not have medicar lol

butterflyblu
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Car insurance is required by law.  Health insurance is not.  It's a choice.  I don't really see what you are getting at.  I suppose if you can't afford car insurance, then you shouldn't have a car. 

KT9105
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 3:18 PM

Should the health care reform bill pass the final stages all Americans will be required by law to have health insurance either on their own or thru their employers.  That's where I'm coming from.

Quoting butterflyblu:

Car insurance is required by law.  Health insurance is not.  It's a choice.  I don't really see what you are getting at.  I suppose if you can't afford car insurance, then you shouldn't have a car. 

smarshy
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 3:20 PM

Quoting butterflyblu:

Lol, then if you can't afford health insurance maybe you shouldn't have a body.

butterflyblu
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 3:24 PM

Oh I wasn't aware of that.  I haven't been keeping up with the health care bill nor do I have time to read hundreds of pages of crap.  I don't think health insurance should be required by law to have.  I do think it should be made affordable so everyone has the option of getting good quality affordable coverage if they choose.  I think most people want health insurance, but I'm sure there are some people out there who don't want to pay or think they don't need it. 

Quoting KT9105:

Should the health care reform bill pass the final stages all Americans will be required by law to have health insurance either on their own or thru their employers.  That's where I'm coming from.

Quoting butterflyblu:

butterflyblu
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Last time I checked, a car wasn't required to live.  It's a luxury.   And I am for health care reform, I'm just not sure that the way it's being proposed at the current time is the best way.  Everyone can get medical care whether they have insurance or not.  You walk into an ER, they have to treat you whether you are insured or not, same for a doctor's office.  Many doctors offer reduced rates to uninsured patients.  Comparing car insurance to health insurance is like apples to oranges.  Then again, you don't need health insurance to live either. 

Quoting smarshy:

Quoting butterflyblu:

KT9105
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 3:30 PM

My point was why accept that car insurance is required by law though in many cases it's unnecessary, but health insurance being required by law is wrong?

Quoting butterflyblu:

Last time I checked, a car wasn't required to live.  It's a luxury.   And I am for health care reform, I'm just not sure that the way it's being proposed at the current time is the best way.  Everyone can get medical care whether they have insurance or not.  You walk into an ER, they have to treat you whether you are insured or not, same for a doctor's office.  Many doctors offer reduced rates to uninsured patients.  Comparing car insurance to health insurance is like apples to oranges.  Then again, you don't need health insurance to live either. 

Quoting smarshy:

Quoting butterflyblu:

butterflyblu
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 3:34 PM

I don't think health insurance should be required by law.  Car insurance is and it's a choice to have a car.  I don't think it's fair to make people pay for something they may not want.   If they don't want to pay for car insurance, then don't get a car.  And how is car insurance unnecessary?  In most states, the only thing that is required is liability.  Everything else is optional if you want to pay extra for it.  Liability is to protect other drivers.  Again, it's not a fair comparison at all.

Quoting KT9105:

My point was why accept that car insurance is required by law though in many cases it's unnecessary, but health insurance being required by law is wrong?

Quoting butterflyblu:

Quoting smarshy:

Quoting butterflyblu:

mirandas_mom
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Well since I am a sole proprietorship I would need to purchase my own insurance. I'm paying cash money now for my diabetes, hypertension, and hypothyroidism meds, tests, doctor visits, supplies, etc. Last doctor visit was $485.

Since I have pre-existing health conditions, I am having a hard time finding insurance, period. Let alone affordable insurance.

Hayliesmom
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 3:42 PM

I don't know how I feel about requiring everyone to have health insurance, but the health of other people does affect you too.

Lets say Joe down the street gets a contagious disease.  He doesn't know what he has, and can't afford to go to the dr. so he's around you and your kids.  You and your kids get it, and thank fully have insurance so you can go to the dr and be treated.  However, now you have to pay the copays and some insurance companies only pay up to a certain amount each year.  Had Joe gone to the dr. and been treated, he may have never gotten you sick. 

Hope that makes sense.  In this way, I can see why you'd compare health and car insurance.

Quoting butterflyblu:

I don't think health insurance should be required by law.  Car insurance is and it's a choice to have a car.  I don't think it's fair to make people pay for something they may not want.   If they don't want to pay for car insurance, then don't get a car.  And how is car insurance unnecessary?  In most states, the only thing that is required is liability.  Everything else is optional if you want to pay extra for it.  Liability is to protect other drivers.  Again, it's not a fair comparison at all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)