Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Quality time with kids

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 2:52 PM
  • 3 Replies

How much "quality" time do you spend with your kids each day.

By this I mean, sitting down reading or playing ball or other activities where you are actively engaged with your children.

How old are your kids?

& are you a sahm or work outside the home?

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 2:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
TheSinFamily
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Honestly, I'd say about 25-40% of the day I engage them. The other time is them playing together while I am cleaning/cooking/etc. I'm a SAHM but also run a business so I have to work a little bit during the day too.

anetrnlov
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 2:58 PM

It literally varies day to day depending on the needs of each child and what is going on in the house.  It also depends on what is planned as for as Bryce's school work for the day.  I couldn't even give you a rough number.

wedding website

Sagely
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 3:06 PM

I am a mom with a professional career (I have an advanced degree in what I do).  The demands on my time are somewhat variable...but in general, I work about 60-65 hours a week outside the home.

The quality time that I have with my daughter suffers on some days to be none at all, and other days, I'm smothering her with mommy-ness.

She'll be 2 in February.

But in general...during the week, if I know I won't be home until after she's in bed, I'll take about 20 minutes in the morning to get her ready for school (daycare, but we call it school).  This includes changing her diaper, getting her clothes on, and doing her hair.  Songs are must during this time. 

If I have an "early" day, I'm home between 7-8pm which gives us about an hour together.  Sometimes we have dinner together and then read stories, take a bath, and get ready for bed.  If time allows, we're playing with her blocks, or coloring pictures, or if she's not feeling well...snuggling up on the couch and watching tv. 

I usually have "early" days about twice a week.

On the weekends...it's full on mommy time.  She "helps" me clean the house (I'll give her a clean rag to wipe various surfaces she thinks need cleaning), she'll chase the vacuum (yes, like a puppy), we eat together, she helps with unloading the dishwasher, we build towers out of blocks, make masterpieces of art, count the leaves outside in the yard, and we have dance parties.

She's in daycare about 25 - 30 hours a week, the rest of the time, she's with her daddy (my husband)...who just so happens to be the best damn daddy ever. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)