Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Never had kittens before.....I have questions. PIC on pg.4 **more questions**

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 2:59 PM
  • 60 Replies

We just got 2 kittens that grew up under a junk truck at my dads auto shop. The Mom left and only 2 survived. One boy, one girl.

Do they just use a little box or do I have to train them? If I have to train them, how do I do that?

Is there anything else I need to know about kittens?

I'm scared they will throw up furr balls on every thing and stratch up my furniture....

PhotobucketLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 2:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
marshallsmommy
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 3:01 PM

just show them the litter box, take the paw and move it around like they do when covering up poop or pee, it comes naturally to them

possummom
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Quoting marshallsmommy:

just show them the litter box, take the paw and move it around like they do when covering up poop or pee, it comes naturally to them

MamaTanArmyWife
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 3:04 PM

ok u need to train kittens to use the litter box and thsi is how my family normal does it.... get a littler box and cat littler ofcorce and put the kittens in a bathroom with the littler box over night and see whats happens and if the kittens do use the floor as pee rub there nosies in it like you would a dog and if you need any other adivce go talk with people at a pet store like pet smart or some other places.... i hoe this will help you i have 3 cats and a dog now.... i use to have more but they died of old age or a car ran over them .....

Roomfor1more
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 3:06 PM

You need to help them learn where to go.   Make sure their "potty" is in an easy to find place & is not too deep for them to get into.   Take them to where you have the litter box & put them in it...they will most likely jump right out,but just keep putting them back in there.   Eventually one will go and usually,after one goes,they will go back to it to go again,but depending on how old they are,it shouldn't take too long.   After you feed them,place them in there & if you notice them sniffing around,get them in there....cats are smart & will figure it out quick.   Just make sure you keep it clean since most cats will not use a dirty box.

Do you have any idea how old they are?

Want to work from home?   Visit www.freedomathometeam.com/mcourtroul 

Need medical or dental benefits?    Visit www.mybenefitsplus.com/mcourtroul  

jenzachsam
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Are their eyes open?  If not they are going to need kitten formula.  They sell that at wal-mart.  If you check their mouths they should have their teeth in if not they are still going to need formula.  They need bottles and a warmer and have to rub tummies after eating with a warm washcloth.  We put a warmer with our baby kittens.  If they have their teeth and their eyes are open then give them kitten food Eukenuba is the best the other I was told by vets are like giving junk food.  Cats are very smart, but I would get a cage put a small box with cat litter they will go in the cat litter.  Cats love to naturally dig in dirt or scraps of newspapers.  I suggest cat litter.  I've raised kittens for a very long time.  My cat, I got him at 6 weeks.  Now he's a happy kitty.  For scratching, doesn't always work but you can buy a small scratching post.  They love balls little tiny balls, and they love to chase things.  Lights, balls, cats like to be up at night and sleep all day.  If they get dehydrated only if they are older kittens you can pull at the skin at their necks if it doesn't go back right away they can use some soft kitten food. 

RoguesMommy
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 3:09 PM
Quoting Roomfor1more:

You need to help them learn where to go.   Make sure their "potty" is in an easy to find place & is not too deep for them to get into.   Take them to where you have the litter box & put them in it...they will most likely jump right out,but just keep putting them back in there.   Eventually one will go and usually,after one goes,they will go back to it to go again,but depending on how old they are,it shouldn't take too long.   After you feed them,place them in there & if you notice them sniffing around,get them in there....cats are smart & will figure it out quick.   Just make sure you keep it clean since most cats will not use a dirty box.

Do you have any idea how old they are?

Never had kittens so I have no idea how old they look.
Roomfor1more
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 3:14 PM

can you post a pic of them?

Want to work from home?   Visit www.freedomathometeam.com/mcourtroul 

Need medical or dental benefits?    Visit www.mybenefitsplus.com/mcourtroul  

RoguesMommy
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 3:24 PM

Quoting Roomfor1more:

can you post a pic of them?

They are still at my dads autoshop right now, we're heading out the door to get a litterbox, litter and food.

They are starving!!

They don't need formula, they can walk, eyes open, play- they stick together and were trying to eat a corn husk in an ant pile when I saw them. They are friendly and came right up to us, even let us pick them up twice, but ran off mostly. They are just so hungry they don't care who they walk up to.

I'm SO nervous! I'm not a cat person, but hubby is. I'm clueless when it comes to them..I'm terrified for my furniture!! Its leather!! and hair balls!

KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Most kittens will automatically use the box but if they are still pretty young they may have accidents especially if they get to playing and forget to go or are to far away from box.  I would set up a couple of kitten litter boxes (if they are still little) around the house at least until you know they are consistantly using them.  Kittens are very active so providing them with toys is a good idea.  Although sometimes just putting an empty popcorn box on the floor will entertain them.  

Some cats are more prone to getting hair ball, it does not matter if they are long or short hair.  If they groom a lot it may happen. But if they do you can use laxatone or hairball remedy and that will help cut down on them.  I would recommend that you get several differant types of scratching posts and place them around your house.   If they do scratch the furniture you can spray them with a squirt bottle, use two sided tape on the furniture, or even soft paws over the claws.

I have 6 cats myself and onlyone of them gets hair balls pretty bad but we contorl them pretty well.  They can be trained to not do certain things relitively easy.  One of my youngest cats is clicker trained and can do tricks.  I am working towards being able to put her in commercials possibly.

Christy78
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 3:31 PM

I have a 2 month old kitten and I just showed her where the litter box was. Just keep it in the same place all the time .  Use a spray bottle with water if they start stracting  just spray them . and get a strach post to .

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)