Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Drama, Drama, Drama (kind of long)

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 3:30 PM
  • 1 Replies

My SIL has 2 kids. My MIL and FIL have custody of her daughter (the oldest). My SIL admits that she didn't want her kids. Well SIL keeps going back to her ex-husband (not the father of either kid) and her ex beats on SIL, has kidnapped my nephew and told SIL that he is going to kill SIL in front of my nephew and then kill my nephew. He has also told her that if he sees anyone from her family ever again he will kill them. He tired to run me off the road when I was pregnant with my son because he pulled up to a stop light and I happened to be driving the car that he stopped next to. The guy is nuts and a danger.

Anyway, my SIL keeps going back to him over and over again, putting her life and the life of her son in danger. She moves 8 hours away each time she goes back to this guy, which she does every about 6 months. She will stay for 6 months and then move back. So my nephew is changing schools every 6 months. This has been going on for 4 years now. I have a feeling that SIL is seeing her ex again, it's about that time of year. If everything goes according to her normal schedule with this she should be moving back with the ex during the kids Christmas break. So my nephew will be switching schools again at the beginning of next year.

I think that tonight I am going to have a talk with DH. He has been saying he wants custody of his nephew because he wants his nephew who is a very smart and very good kid to have a stable home. He doesn't want his nephew to be any more screwed up than he already is. So I am going to ask DH if he would mind me asking his sister if we can have custody of our nephew if she announces that she is going back to the ex again. I know for a fact that my MIL doesn't want my nephew because she doesn't like boys and FIL doesn't get a say in anything, so it is really up to us. My nephew's father is a great man, but he isn't equipped to have nephew full time. I also think that I'm going to tell DH that if SIL goes back to her ex and doesn't let us have custody of our nephew then I'm going to call CPS. This is just a bunch of bull and I shouldn't have let it go on as long as it has. I just didn't want to cause trouble for DH with his family. His mom will take his sister's side and it will cause my son pain because my son adores my FIL and if I piss off MIL then FIL will never be allowed to see my son (who is FIL's only biological grandchild) and I don't want that to happen.

How would you handle things if you were in my situation? Please don't bash me or my family, I already feel guilty enough for not doing something sooner.

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 3:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
Crazy4Mustangs
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 3:40 PM

I would do everything exactly as you are doing it. That little boy needs safety and security, and if he's not getting it from momma then he should be getting it somewhere, good for you for stepping up to the plate. And I'd call cps if she goes back as well, especially since this man has threatened to kill your SIL and her son. Good luck to you and your nephew!

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)