Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddler drinks

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 3:45 PM
  • 6 Replies

How much does your toddler drink? My dd just turned 2 and she is not a big drinker at all, yet she eats 3 full meals a day and 2 snacks. Im worried she is not drinking enough, but she still pees normal. If she drinks a total of 3-8oz sippy cups of anything a day, thats alot. I read some posts on here about their kids drinking like 9 or 10 cups a day! She will not just sit and drink. I have to let her carry her cup throughout the day. I leave it on the table, and she drinks sparatically. Sometimes it takes her 3 hours (maybe more!) just to drink 1 cup. Does anyone know the "standard" amount of fluid a child her age is supposed to get? Thanks in advance! 

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 3:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mom2ljh
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 3:46 PM

That's plenty.  Around 15 months my son went through a period of absolutely refusing to drink.  We were lucky some days if he'd drink 8oz.  His ped didn't act concerned, which just upset me more.  I was ready to find a new ped over it.  Low and behold, he did eventually start drinking more (we kept him hyrdated during the whole not drinking thing with very hydrating foods) and now can't be seperated from his hemp milk and almond milk, LOL.

Amanda ~ Mommy to my little miracle Landon Joel
born 6 weeks too soon~6-21-07, former refluxer, multiple food allergies, verbal regression, and the coolest kid on the block.

Then                                           Now

abellababy
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 3:51 PM

Thanks for your response! BUMP

imechard
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 3:52 PM

If her urine looks fine, I would not worry too much. They get a lot of their fliud intake out of their foods. I feed my kids things with lots of fluid in it, like fruit. Kids are generally very in touch with their needs and as long as you offer her fluid, she will take it when she needs it

armywifenmommie
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 4:18 PM

not sure what the standard is but my boys drink alot depending upon the day..some days they want to eat more than drink and vice versa. my youngest definitely likes to sip here and there on certain things..but like the other mama's said if nothing has changed about her she still goes potty like normal and eating the same no need to worry 

ArmyWifey4907
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 4:19 PM

I think my 2 yr old DS drinks too much.  He's got to have a sippy cup with him constantly, and I fill it about 4-5 times a day...They're 10 oz sippies.  Plus he has about 6 oz of milk at each meal.

pregnancy calendar

butterflyblu
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 5:29 PM

9-10 cups a day would be an excessively large amount for a toddler.  My son drinks about 18 oz of milk a day and 9 oz of diluted juice (4 oz juice to 5 oz water).  Then he drinks about 4-6 oz of water on top of that.   He pees a lot so I think he gets plenty to drink.  He can soak a diaper pretty quick.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)