Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child support and insanity question ( long) EDIT

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 4:44 PM
  • 12 Replies

Okay so this is a strange situation but I need to get ideas on how I can help.  Just so you know, I'm not married yet but to keep this as simple as possible I'm just going to call her my MIL.  So my MIL has a 12 year old daughter but the little girl lives with her dad.  My MIL has mental issues and she really isn't all there.  She used to be "normal" and one night she was beaten, raped and possibly shot up with some bad drugs (tainted).  She has never been the same since.  Anyways, she (MIL) lives with her mother in a small town and they don't have a vehicle or even know how to drive.  They also have no phone.  So fast forward to about 9 months ago.  MIL received papers saying she needed to go to court to set up child support payments for her daughter.  I would have taken her to court myself but I didn't know when the date was until it had passed.  She now has a warrant for her arrest because she hasn't paid.  She can't have a job because she isn't capable of having one.  She doesn't get any disability or anything.  I told her and her mother that I would take her to the hospital so she could be evaluated and be put on disability but they looked at me like I was the crazy one.  Anyways, is there anything I can do to help with getting the child support dropped? 

When I say she has mental issues, I mean it.  She yells at the walls and invisible people and talks nonsense 99% of the time.

***Should I just call the police and have them go pick her up on the warrant?  Maybe she would get the help she needs then.***

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 4:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Septpreggo
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 4:48 PM
im bumping this for ya
JessicaEOH
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 4:51 PM

It sounds like there isn't anything you can do.  She will have to go to the appointments and stuff, and maybe her and her mom think she is 'normal'  I think it's out of your hands, sorry.

i.heart.rachel
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 4:51 PM

If she has legitimate mental issues, she should be on SSI/disability and then they will take the child support out of that. The best way to help her would be to get her to apply for SSI/disability and go from there. That might take a while. In the meantime, since she doesn't drive or go anywhere she shouldn't get arrested. They most likely aren't going to come banging down her door.

24 year old, God loving, tutu makin momma to Jenelle, Gracelynn, and Sapphire. Girlfriend to Rachel (not wife, because apparently some people are AGAINST two loving, consenting adults marrying).

MissiHampt
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 4:53 PM

I have no idea, but I think she needs a lawyer.  I wouldn't want to face that one alone.  I know even a father who is on disability OR jobless is usually required to pay something.

Missi....loving wife to Jason, mommy to Ricky (1-12-05), and soon to be mommy to Logan Douglas (due Feb 2010).  I'm a cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding till baby wants to quit, homeschooling, non-circumcising, anti-cry it out, part time working, animal loving, trashy romance novel reading, farm raised hillbilly.  I have had Meningitis and Swine Flu and lived to tell about it.  Any questions?

ariesp19
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 4:56 PM

more then likely, what will happen, is she will get arrested, court appointed lawyer, hell pleed inanity, then she will have to be evauluated

as of may

treadmilljumping ropescrapbooking

soon2bemomof307
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 4:58 PM

It sounds like she should be evaluated then put on disability. They will take the payments out of her disability. Communication is the best thing she can do. They will work with you if you are willing to try. But it sounds like she is not willing if she refuses to get evaluated.

Septpreggo
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 5:01 PM
not true people on SSI CANNOT BE REQUIRED TO PAY CHILD SUPPORT NOR CAN IT BE TAKEN FROM THEIR CHECK HOWEVER PEOPLE ON SSDI THEY CAN
Septpreggo
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 5:18 PM

i just wanted to add SSI stands for supplemental security income

it is for disabled people who reither never worked or barely ever worked, and did not earn enough money when they did work to qualify for regular disability

SSDI stands for social security disability and its for people who worked on a regular basis before they became disabled and therfore earned enough on their record for disability

if your MIL is qualified for SSI she can never be required to pay any child support, and if a judge ever orders a child support prior to this it can NEVER be taken from her check

BrTupac
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 5:52 PM

She doesn't understand that there is anything wrong with her.  When I found out about the warrant we were at her house and she started talking about some off the wall things.  I have lived with her and she is truly insane but I don't know how to help.  I don't think that I can actually admit her because she isn't suicidal.  They have no insurance either.  I honestly can't do a whole lot as far as getting them financial assistance (they live off of $250 a month and there are 4 people there).  I am hoping to do something about this child support stuff. 

Quoting soon2bemomof307:

It sounds like she should be evaluated then put on disability. They will take the payments out of her disability. Communication is the best thing she can do. They will work with you if you are willing to try. But it sounds like she is not willing if she refuses to get evaluated.

Septpreggo
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 5:58 PM

shes one person that actually sounds like she deserves  to get ssi i would look up the number to the nearest NAMI office! national alliance for the mentally ill

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)