Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

BUYING CLOTHES for a kid's birthday, taboo? Yes or no?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 5:21 PM
  • 57 Replies

I had this debate with a friend MANY years ago. I would buy my friends' kids clothing on their birthday, like my bff I got her son a Batman (or something like this) t-shirt or batman pajamas or something and he LOOOOVED it, they raved about it.

So my other friend...she has a boy, too. I got her boy something similar, a character shirt/outfit and she flipped. She said little boys/kids don't like clothes that you don't buy kids clothes for their birthdays. I was like since when? I LOOOOVED clothes as a kid, a nice pair of cuddly pajamas, a new coat anything!

Fast forward: my son who is 4 loves new clothes, birthday or not! It's a treat. lol But some people are adamant that clothes are not kid-worthy presents. I beg to differ I have 6 siblings and over time, they thank me for their clothes. I wouldn't get some boring, ugly sweater or anything, but something they really wanted. lol

What is your view on the subject???? (just all in good fun).

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 5:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bablondie
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 5:22 PM

At preschool the other day before the class door opened, the kids were in the hall all surrounding the boy with a cool hot wheels cars of some sort t-shirt and the cute 4 yo boys were all " I like your shirt" "yeah" "neat""cars" LOL...oooh and ahhhing over a shirt!!!!

ShannieP
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 5:23 PM

I think that at certain times in their lives, kids may not exactly be grateful for clothes, but that can really depend on the kid too. My 3 year old LOVES to get new clothes, at ANY time!

AJmum
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 5:24 PM

My daughter is a clothes horse she always has been! I have no idea where she gets it peeking And my son who is 3 his favorite birthday present was his dino bathing suit from my Mom. So yes I think it is perfectly acceptable.

imechard

I think that if a child asks for clothes it is fine, like a little girl asking for a princess dress, otherwise I do not think that clothes are fun gifts. I prefer people to buy my kids toys, preferably ask what we want them to get. I am particular about the clothes my kids wear and do not like character clothing and don't want writing on it at all, and I feel that providing my kids with adequate clothing is my responsibility so all the clothes they get extra are just that. Where I might not buy very many toys due to lack of money, my kids will always have enough clothes

halosmommy

i do buy clothes for bdays and xmas. Alay have for my nephew he loves em!

Logan_Bellasmom
by Falling Starr on Nov. 9, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Most of the time i tell people to buy clothes for my kids cuz they need it more than toys. Today my aunt randomly stopped by and got my almsot 3 your old a few things for no reason and bella LOVED it. She made me put on her new fishy Panties and omg the new shoes bell LOVES shoes and was carrying them around and had to show daddy when he came home form lunch.

Because i love my little girl  Because yes i am Bipolar

Trisomy 18 Has affected my life For my aunt

For my grampa (lung cancer) For my papa (liver cancer)

Pink and Blue because infants deserve to be remembered too

WHAT COLORS ARE IN YOUR LIFE?

pregomamma921
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 5:25 PM

I love buying clothesn for kids for their birthdays. Most of the time the kid has tons of toys and needs clothes. People should be greatful for what you buy their child. My kids love clothes... and shoes lol 

bablondie
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 5:27 PM

I'm like this. I'm a practical person..

I also like to give people practical gifts I'll notice like my mom doesn't have new towels or a new comforter or a new pot in the kitchen or something and as boring as it sounds, she needs them, I buy them. lol.

Quoting pregomamma921:

I love buying clothesn for kids for their birthdays. Most of the time the kid has tons of toys and needs clothes. People should be greatful for what you buy their child. My kids love clothes... and shoes lol 

CountryBreed

Let someone complain about me giving their children clothing as a gift and it'll be the last time I give their child anything.

A gift is a gift no matter what it is. I do typically give clothes or like you pjs. I once gave my nephew a spider man themed gift, PJS with a toothbrush/paste, water play toys and a towel. The gift was fairly inexpensive and something I knew he'd get a lot of use out of and something that wouldn't annoy his mom.

beggars can't be choosers.

Melo2828

I have never heard that clothes were not a good gift for a child. Lot of kids love getting a cool clothes. I loved to get clothes with my favorite cartoon on it.  Heck i have some friends that would ask not to give toy gifts to there kids because they have too many.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)