Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby Shannon Dedrick - baby found in a box under Aunt's bed, was alone for 12 hrs!

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 6:52 PM
  • 7 Replies

Anyone heard of this story?  Here is a link to Nancy Grace with a recent update on it.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2009/11/05/ng.baby.found.cnn

and

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/11/05/florida.baby.found/index.html

and

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=shannon+dedrick&search_type=&aq=f

Mom and dad report their baby was missing from their bed while they sleep.  Turns out the mom was lying and had given the baby to her aunt.  The aunt had the baby in a cedar box under a bed, which the police found after the aunt gave police permission to search her home thinking the baby wouldn't be found. 

Turns out the aunt was a suspect in 1987 disappearance of her 3yr old stepson, never enough evidence to charge.  Aunt was charged and convicted of causing bodily injury with the intent to KILL her own 6yr old daughter - sentenced to 10 years and ONLY SERVED 80 days!!

Now the mom is under arrest, too!

AND there really seems to be something wrong with this baby - At least it seems like it to me.  Baby Shannon is 7mos old and just doesn't look right.  I wonder if there just has not been any stimulation in the home - I really think something is wrong  - either a birth defect that needs proper stimulation and therapy, or lack of attention from her parents, causing her to be expressionless - baby Shannon never smiles - not even at her own mother's smiles, words and kisses as seen in the video.

Reminds me of my friends who have adopted babies from China - they just don't cry because no one answered their cries when they were infants in the orphanages.

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 6:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
GabriellaM
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 6:54 PM

Yeah, I heard it on Nancy Grace. I was so thankful she was found alive.

texassahm
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 7:55 PM

I want to hear about the full investigation on this baby - she has definitely been mistreated, poor thing has no emotion!  SO sad!

Septpreggo
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 7:57 PM

if this is the same baby i think the 7 month old she looks wicked skinny and tiny for her age, i havent followed the case but did the babys mom want her aunt to do that to the baby? im confused was she in on it?

texassahm
by Gold Member on Nov. 10, 2009 at 10:00 PM

Yes, same case.  Yes, the baby is "wicked skinny" she has a huge head and is expressionless.  That is either one very neglected baby, or she has some medical issues that need to be cared for immediately.

The police have arrested the mom, but the maternal grandmother is claiming that the aunt must have coerced her and that her daughter is "confused" - if she is so confused she gave away her baby, then she doesn't need to be caring for a baby in the first place...

Quoting Septpreggo:

if this is the same baby i think the 7 month old she looks wicked skinny and tiny for her age, i havent followed the case but did the babys mom want her aunt to do that to the baby? im confused was she in on it?

tabi_cat1023
by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 10:02 PM

It was already released int he news that she had a larger than normal head because of a disorder and that she was also small for the same reason...

BUT DSS/CPS has been involved since baby was 2 weeks old because of allegations of abuse so...yeah I'm sure baby is abused

SnoBuny
by Platinum Member on Nov. 10, 2009 at 10:13 PM

What is sad to me is that a room full of strangers, men that have seen some hardcore things (police men) had more emotion for this child than her mother.
If grandma loved the daughter and littlle girl so much where was she when cps was involved?

Heather0816
by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 10:17 PM

This story makes me sick. I just hope that she can find a wonderful family that will give her all of the love and attention she could ever want!

Follow me to,  Army Wives Do It With Pride

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)