Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This is how I know our world is MAJORLY screwed up...

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 7:15 PM
  • 14 Replies

A little while ago, I posted about a student of mine that had a pretty bad seizure today. Her mom works in our school cafeteria and they are two of the nicest people I know!

The girls started having seizures for the first time this year. She's a teenager. The food service employer does not provide the mom with insurance.

To make a long story short, the mom lost a tooth earlier this year....like at the beginning of the school year. Unfortunately, it is one toward the front so it can't exactly be hidden. This wonderful, hard working mother cannot afford to get her tooth repaired because all of the hospitals keep denying services and testing because she is uninsured. Not only is the girl in trouble, expecially after today, but this mom can't even afford to care for herself because literally every penny goes to her daughter's health care.

God bless them both...a mother doing whatever it takes for her child and a daughter who is just hanging in, trying to make it day by day.

I'm apalled at the flaws in our system, but amazed at their strength.

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 7:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wicked_tink
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 7:18 PM

thats so sad girl,i hope things get better for her and her daughter

ballerinamom
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 7:19 PM

I think about this all the time!!!! What if I got terminally ill... I have no insurance!!! I just cant afford it.

treefroggreen
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 7:19 PM

it is ridiculous! i have been getting insurance qoutes and none  of it is affordable.

so now, my dh and son will get insurance and not me. my dh is getting old and i want him covered before a "pre-existing condition" comes up.

its a terrible system, and i hope things work out for that lady

MissMandaz
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 7:21 PM

Quoting ballerinamom:

I think about this all the time!!!! What if I got terminally ill... I have no insurance!!! I just cant afford it.

stacyemmy
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 7:22 PM

I wonder if she has tried to apply for medicaid? But yes..my mom has similar issues. She is slowly paying off 30,000 dollars worth of medical bills because my brother broke his ankle. And to make it worse he hurt the same ankle again and won't let her because he doesn't want her to have to pay more (he is 16 and has been limping around for weeks now). My mom is thankful she had a ton in savings before that happened or she'd be screwed right now.

pregnant

baby

purplemoosemom
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 7:25 PM

That is sad.  Her daughter should qualify for the children's insurance program though.  It's through the state.  ALL children can be covered by it.  The family does have to pay a small payment each month--in our state, it's $10/per family, no matter how many kids are covered by it.  It covers kids through 24 if I remember correctly and there aren't normally copays or anything.  It's government funded.  In michigan, it's call MiChild.  Not sure what its called in other states, but I do know FOR A FACT that it IS available in ALL states.

youlookin4me
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 7:30 PM

Sad thing when hard working families are denied any help,  But i bet if she were a lazy jobless women they would give her a whole mouth full of teeth!  My family doesnt qulify for health insurance from the state and my husband has been laid off.  I only get it b/c im pregnant then i will have nothing either....hope none of us get sick!   I dont know where you live but i had to get wisdom teeth taken out and there was  a clinic in my area that goes on your income I had 2 wisdon teeth removed for under $50,  Also if you live near a univirsity w/ a med/dental school sometimes they offer free work,  Of course it would be students doing the work but they are supervised and w/o insurance it may be her only option!   Good Luck!

DixieFlower
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 7:31 PM

Actually not all states have this. I live in TN and we have Tenncare and Coverkids. Tenncare you have to meet certain requirements including income. Coverkids was supposed to take the overflow of those that didn't meet the Tenncare requirements (were at 250% poverty level or below) and those above 250% poverty level could buy into it. However, after Nov 30,2009 they will no longer be taking new applicants.

Quoting purplemoosemom:

That is sad.  Her daughter should qualify for the children's insurance program though.  It's through the state.  ALL children can be covered by it.  The family does have to pay a small payment each month--in our state, it's $10/per family, no matter how many kids are covered by it.  It covers kids through 24 if I remember correctly and there aren't normally copays or anything.  It's government funded.  In michigan, it's call MiChild.  Not sure what its called in other states, but I do know FOR A FACT that it IS available in ALL states.

wedding tickers

bmw29
by Buttcrackncornchips on Nov. 9, 2009 at 7:33 PM

In NC you have to qualify for it and its $50 a year for one child and like $20 for any more and there are co-pays just not high.

Quoting purplemoosemom:

purplemoosemom
by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 11:26 AM

That's strange--can they even DO that?  The whole point of the children's health care bill was to cover all uninsured children, regardless of income, race, etc.  Interesting...

Quoting DixieFlower:

Actually not all states have this. I live in TN and we have Tenncare and Coverkids. Tenncare you have to meet certain requirements including income. Coverkids was supposed to take the overflow of those that didn't meet the Tenncare requirements (were at 250% poverty level or below) and those above 250% poverty level could buy into it. However, after Nov 30,2009 they will no longer be taking new applicants.

Quoting purplemoosemom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)