Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

flu shot & gettin sick after??

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:40 PM
  • 4 Replies

did you have your kids get the flu shot?? (reg flu) either this yr or before and did they get sick??

**2 of my kids go the flu shot (one got the mist) today and im so worried that they will end up gettin sick....my 3rd kid has an app to get his shot. 

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
TheFoo
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:42 PM

I got my flu shot about 2 moths ago and I havent gotten sick at all :)

CafeMom Tickers

angieluvsolivia
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:42 PM

The flu shot is a dead virus, you can't get sick or atleast that strain of the flu from getting the shot.  The flu mist however is a live virus and technically you can get sick from it though I hear it is not as bad.

Thinkpink87
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:05 PM

it take roughly 1 month after getting the shot to be fully immune to it, so  they could still get sick but not as likely

adri_nevarez
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:08 PM

You are more likely to get sick with a live virus.  I believe the flu shot is a dead version, but the mist is live.  My BIL recieved the live mist for the H1N1.  He has kidney cancer and has a weakened immune system due to the chemo.  He got the vaccine on Wednesday and was in the hospital on  Saturday with pneumonia and very high fever (105.9)  He did test positive for type A flu, but they are not sure yet whether it is H1N1.  His oncologist was upset with him for getting the live mist.  He was having a small skin tag removed by a dermatologist and he insisted that he get the H1N1 live mist.  My BIL thought since he was a doctor he would know if it was okay or not with his immune system being compromised.  My BIL is still hospitalized at this moment.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)