Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

rear facing to forward facing.

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:17 PM
  • 4 Replies

I was just reading a post and am now wondering because im curious what are the minimal height, weight, and age requirements to turn your child ff. i just want to beable to understand it better. and what are the ugh cant think of the word reasons and safety reasons for switching or not. but could someone please answer the requirements. lol 

I am a 20 y/o single mommy of a beautiful bi-racial little girl, who believes in CIO, non co-sleeping, vaccinating, formula feeding, disposable diaper using, chillin in her diaper all day, myspace and mountain dew addicted, smoking outside, That 70's Show lo0vin', veteran of the Army, got my GED, pitbull loovin'Teenage show watchin', Disney movie lo0vin', cussin', Rated "NR",  Twilight lo0vin', cares about my looks type mommy.

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
katiebugg319
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:18 PM

i've always heard once they are a year AND 20lbs is when you can turn them around if you want.

butterflyblu
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:28 PM

By law, it's 1 yr AND 20 lbs.  A child has to meet both of those requirements to FF.  But keeping a child RF until the limits of their seat is the safest.  The AAP recommends RF until at least age 2 or 30 lbs.  Most convertible seats RF until at least 35 lbs and a few up to 40 lbs.  Height limits vary by seat.  Google Extended Rear Facing and you'll come up with a lot of great info on why it's safer.  My son turns 2 next week and is still RF. 

reelo
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:38 PM

Yup.

Quoting butterflyblu:

By law, it's 1 yr AND 20 lbs.  A child has to meet both of those requirements to FF.  But keeping a child RF until the limits of their seat is the safest.  The AAP recommends RF until at least age 2 or 30 lbs.  Most convertible seats RF until at least 35 lbs and a few up to 40 lbs.  Height limits vary by seat.  Google Extended Rear Facing and you'll come up with a lot of great info on why it's safer.  My son turns 2 next week and is still RF. 

mama2mycuties
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:48 PM

As pp mentioned the law minimum is 1yr of age AND 20lbs, many seats also now require a child to be 34inches to ff. Best practice is to keep kids rf as long as possible as it is 5x safer, sunshine kids now makes a seat that allows rf to 45lbs.....as far as height a child can rf as long as there is 1 inch of shell above their head. Feet touching the back of a seat is not an issue, there have been no recorded cases of broken legs rf which is often a misconception.

A childs spine doesn't ossify/fuse until 3-6 yrs of age so keeping them rf protects them during any type of collision, this has been proven true in head-on, side, and rear collisions. I don't have the links for these on this computer but hopefully a tech will come on and post them for you or you can join the car seat safety group and they can point you in the right direction. FF a child before those ages of fusing increases the risk of internal decapitation. 

I'll be the first to admit that I ff my older 3 kids at 1yr if not  before........I didn't know any better but after my friends son died in a car accident a year ago this month I started researching and the car seat mama's on here opened my eyes to how I could help to prevent that from happening to my own little ones. My siggy shows my 17mth erf which is where she'll stay until I'm hoping 45lbs.

HTH! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)