Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is your favorite Christmas tradition since becoming a mom?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:26 PM
  • 25 Replies

Mine is- - every year, on Christmas eve,once my DD is in bed, after putting out all the "Santa" stuff - - I turn out all the lights except the Christmas tree, pour myself a glass of Merlot, and listen to Handel's Messiah.  It's my way of de-stressing before the hectic Christmas Day ahead and getting back in touch with what Christmas really means. 

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shecallsmemom04
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:27 PM

the light in their faces when they wake up and see everything christmas morning.  i usually have to wake my daughter up because i'm so excited for her...LOL.

decorating, baking cookies. 

if you really want to know about me, just read my personal statement on my profile, it's easier. :-)
PetNurse05
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:27 PM

bump

Leahmaria7981
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:28 PM

On Christmas Eve we always make cookies for santa and have hot chocolate (even though we live in Texas and it's not really cold out). We never go anywhere on Christmas Eve just for this reason, but one of our families usually come over for dinner. It's usually tortilla soup since everyone gets tired of turkey.

We also read the story of the birth of baby Jesus before they go to bed.

mom-of-two9698
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:28 PM

I always make sure to get up a little earlier than everyone else and make coffee and hot chocolate, light candles and have Christmas music playing.  Almost the same as you!! 

PetNurse05
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:33 PM

bump

Juliekat23
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:33 PM

DF would say getting to eat the cookies left out for Santa!! LOL

Me?  The tradition I have continued from my mom- everyone gets new crayons and a coloring book in their stocking.  I guess thats my favorite since my Mom had no traditions growing up and we have now created one to pass down to future generations.  I buy my own now since I have my own home and family.  But, my siblings (all teenagers) will hound my mom every year so she doesn't forget!  The other thing is the LifeSavor books.  Had to tweak it a little though since DD is too young-she gets the gummy ones.

CafeMom Tickers

PetNurse05
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Quoting Juliekat23:

DF would say getting to eat the cookies left out for Santa!! LOL

Me?  The tradition I have continued from my mom- everyone gets new crayons and a coloring book in their stocking.  I guess thats my favorite since my Mom had no traditions growing up and we have now created one to pass down to future generations.  I buy my own now since I have my own home and family.  But, my siblings (all teenagers) will hound my mom every year so she doesn't forget!  The other thing is the LifeSavor books.  Had to tweak it a little though since DD is too young-she gets the gummy ones.

This is SO cute!!! 

earthangel81
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:37 PM

Getting together with all of my family on christmas eve and eating tamales mmmmm can't wait :) and my kids get a new pair of pj's to open up on christmas eve.

KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:38 PM

I love everything about it. But when i was kid my mom would read Twas the night before Christmas when we got in bed Christmas eve. I have continued that tradition.   When i was kid Christmas Morning we had to sit at the top of the stairs(sometimes sitting on my sister to keep her there) and wait until my dad went down and turn on the tree lights.  He tortured because he just had to take a shower, get dressed,and make the coffee before he could do that.   We have continued that tradition. Everyone spends the night at my parents and we sit at the top of the stairs and weait for him.  Sometimes, we even still sit on my sister.  My sister is mentally challanged so she is still very much like a child so she and my daughter get visited by santa while the rest of us do not.  I love sharing that with my daughter, seeing her face light up.   

This year I do not know how we are going to do this because my Daddy passed away last month.  We have been throwing around ideas so we may be starting some new traditions this year.      

JasonsMom2007
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:40 PM

Do I have to pick just one?  LOL We walk down the street and look at Christmas lights, have birthday cake for Jesus with our breakfast on Christmas morning,  DS gets christmas eve jammies, I love decorating the tree and trecking through the forest to find it, we drive to a town about 30 minutes away and they have the streets closed off, serve hot chocolate, all of the houses are decorated, and they have different things you can ride around the neighborhood on.  It's all free.

I love the Christmas eve service at church and Christmas morning at home before we go over my parent's house :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)