Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Siblings... A few Questions...

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:18 PM
  • 19 Replies

I have encouraged my dd to be a part of this pregnancy and think that if I let her in on the pregnancy, and reinforce that this baby is every part of hers as it is ours. she may take to him a little better..  My question is did you notice a difference if you did or didnt really include them in the pregnancy how they took to the baby?, I know she is only 15mos old but still. She likes to hear his heartbeat, she likes to look at his ultrasound pic and of course sits on my lap and says bubby, and points to my tummy...

What am I in for when I bring him home from the hospital? I know that there are gonna be somethings to look for and not to do I just want to be prepared.. I was six when My sister was born sooo....

CafeMom Tickers
CafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:21 PM

Momma to 2.5 yr old Avalon Grier
Wife to geekchic hotty Jeff
Friend to all

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:25 PM

I was over protective when I had my 2nd (my first too but that doesn't matter here) I restricted my oldests involvement, so she got jealous and would actually hit my son... when I had my 3rd I made sure to let my other kids take part and play with the new baby. I had a MUCH better response.  So it sounds like you have a good plan, just stick with it...

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:26 PM

LOL-I was 10 and hated my sister.  :(

We have just told DD about this baby.  She will be coming with us to the appt. Thursday to hear the heartbeat!!  She is 3 and understands that there is a tiny baby in mommys tummy that can't come out until it is this big (we show with hands apart).  She seems okay with it.  But, I hope its a girl cause thats all she wants.  "boys are yucky boys"  Uh oh!!

We waited until now because we told her about the baby before my last miscarriage.  (didnt find out the baby died until 10 weeks along).  Had to tell her that the baby wouldnt be coming after all.  She just said okay, the baby is up there now.  And pointed skyward.  Interesting-we have never told her of heaven or anything else.  (we are pagan but havent really introduced religion at all).  Little minds are amazing, know more than we think.

You may just need to have the nurse hand your daughter a baby doll when you have your baby.  (you buy and bring it of course).  Then, she will have a baby and you will have a baby and you can both care for them at the same time!

CafeMom Tickers

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:27 PM

my son knew he would go to appts with me does he care nope LOL that's his baby brother they both get at each other's things. He pushes his swing, he moves his walker, he wants to put his socks on. LOL  My now 7 month old is starting to crawl so if my ds who is 4 has a toy on the bed he'll want to take it away and that's that lol

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:28 PM

Ivy was 19 mos when Claire was born. I kept her involved throughout the pregnancy, and we got her a baby doll, and taught her that you have to be very nice to your baby doll. WHen we brought the baby home Ivy said "Oh! Is this my baby?" and we told her yes she was.  She has occasional bouts of jealousy, and has pushed the baby down a couple of times, but mostly she's just really excited about being the big sister. From the begining we involved her in changing diapers, and helping feed the baby so she's a really good bis sister!

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:29 PM

I involved my son in my pregnancy SO much too, and he seemed to be really excited about it. He was 2 at the time. Then brother was born, and when my mom took him to see us at the hospital, he wouldnt even come near me!! Then at home, he didnt want to be around me & just wanted daddy :( It was so sad I cried all the time about it!!

But then as days went on he became more interested in helping me with baby and now thier best buddies!! I mean they have thier fights but they have so much fun together. & my oldest is very protective of his lil brother lol 

by Ruby Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:32 PM

I never mad dd feel left out about her little brother. In fact I gave him to her as a little baby and said hold your baby. She would pull on him, and hug him and to this day shows him so much love.  She kisses him, hugs him and just shows him sooo much love. I never pushed her away either, if I was holding him and she came to me I would hold both of them no matter how much it hurt and say "I got two babies". She would give me the biggest smile.Its hard at first especially when toddler;s can be rough but your little one will be okay. Make sure to stay close by, and make sure that you teach him or her to be soft, and gentle with him. show him or her how to hold him and if he or she hits grab there little had and say "soft" and let her see you give the baby lots of kisses, and hugs. Then if the baby needs something let her help by getting his toy, or singing a song, or something like that. Sibling rivery does not have to hap pend. They will be best friends. Children have to learn to live with each other.

here's a pic and you can see she didn't quite have the hold down. lol HE was pretty new hear and at this age she would want to hold him and just push him right off her when she was done.

here is them both closer to now, and believe it or not sometime he just tackles her and she begs me to save her from him. lol

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:35 PM

i included dd1 in my pregnancy with dd2 and it was awesome... she was three when i got preggo and she went to all of my appts to hear the hb and everything.. she even got to attend our u/s. my midwife was wonderful with her and would let her help with the doppler and such lol with this pregnancy my daughters have been as involved as they can be... my appts are usually while dd1 is at school and dd2 has come to most of my appts except for my u/s because it was done at the hospital and because of the swine flu scare she couldn't attend, but she gives my belly kisses every morning and every nite and throughout the day as well and say's goodmorning baby, or goodnite baby and sometimes she just says love you baby lol. it think it helps a lot to keep the older siblings involved in the pregnancy. though i have never NOT involved them, so who knows **hug** i am sure your dd will be fine when you bring home baby

CafeMom Tickers

Koko- navy wife-mommy of two- currently baking baby #3

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:39 PM

My oldest was 17 months when youngest was born. We always talked about it, she felt her kick, went to some appts and ultrasound. She was very excited to see and hear "her baby". She is/was a great big sister. Only now, almost 18 months later are they starting to fight over toys or whatever like sisters. haha but she was very involved and it worked out Great i think. When we came home she was very understanding about mommy's belly hurting and So careful around the baby. She just wanted to hold her ALLLLLL the time. The only real problem i had was she always wanted to share her food with her.

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:42 PM

My almost 4 year old in January told me I needed to take connor back to the dr take all his clothes off and put him back in my belly. Sucked to hear that. He still jealous of his brother and its not getting much better. Now his brother is starting to walk and play with toys and I have to watch my 4 year old like a hawk.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)