Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Whats up with childrens books now days?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:56 PM
  • 28 Replies

So I take my dd to the library every week to get books to go with the letter of the week. Well I cant believe the books that I come across. First off I never realized how many books out there have hate in the title. I hate school! I hate mommy! I hate you!!! WHo is writing these books? WHats up with all the hate? I mean you don't have to teach a child to say they hate something, why on earth would anyone want to rush that? Then I picked up a book about visiting daddy. I was thinking this could be interesting, but the book was about visiting daddy in prison um, no thank you. Then the books about getting new siblings were horrible almost none of the books were positive about having a new sibling but talked about the child not wanting the new baby, and how the parents were going to forget the child. Why on earth would anyone read there child a book like that? It was sooo hard to find positive books to read to my child, I mean I knew I would have to censor tv but I thought that childrens books would be okay!!!!

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
butterflyblu
by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 12:37 AM

There definitely are some books out there like that, but I think the majority are good.  I personally like classics that I enjoyed as a child.  Curious George, Eric Carle books, Berenstain Bears, Clifford, If you give a mouse a cookie series, etc. 

insomniacmom266
by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 12:38 AM

ive never seen childrens books called i hate mom, i hate school maybe there not here

((My whole life i was made to belive i was sick when i wasn't))

luv_my_xiya
by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 12:39 AM

i havent ran across any books like that...i wrote a book in the 8th grade that teaches a valuable lesson, my fiance says i should get it published lol 

Bennett121
by Gold Member on Nov. 10, 2009 at 12:40 AM

wow! I dont go to the public library (long story) but I go to books a million and they have a great childrens section. (of course I am looking in toddler books) maybe the older kid books are worse.....

insomniacmom266
by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 12:41 AM

i found them on amazon...sick

((My whole life i was made to belive i was sick when i wasn't))

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Nov. 10, 2009 at 12:46 AM

I know right my dd wont stop saying "I dont wanna". I would not ever read her something to make her say something else that would drive me nuts.! lol

Quoting insomniacmom266:

i found them on amazon...sick

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Nov. 10, 2009 at 12:47 AM

YOu should! I wish I could write something someone would want to read.

Quoting luv_my_xiya:

i havent ran across any books like that...i wrote a book in the 8th grade that teaches a valuable lesson, my fiance says i should get it published lol 

Dawnness
by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 12:51 AM

For some reason the authors and publishing companys of these negative type books think that the "morals" or "lessons" of the story some how pretains to what a kid is feeling or going through at certain ages.

I don't like them either, and it seems they are slowly appearing more and more.  I, too, hate the idea of having to censor what my kid reads, but I kinda have to. It's sad.

When my son was a toddler I came across (at a yard sale), what looked like a cute book about this little ducky who was having a hard time keeping up with his siblings with different ducky milestones (swimming, flying, diving, etc.). I thought what a good book to teach my son about trying his hardest and practicing until he acomplished his goal.

NOPE! Everytime this poor ducky worked at a milestone, Daddy Duck would say negative things similar to "Your sibling do it better" or "You aren't doing good enough."

Honestly...I think I might have the book still, but I not sure. May have thrown it out finally in disgust. I kept it as a reminder and example of what a bad book is.

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Nov. 10, 2009 at 12:59 AM

I wish they would stop putting these negative ideas in the kids head. Kids see enough negativity just living at least you would think the people in books would be nice. gheeze! I have to read all her books at home first, then read them to her and her brother. I cant imagine what would make anyone make a book called I hate mommy. I mean I didn't even read, I just put it back but even if it got positive at the end not something I would read to my kids.

Quoting Dawnness:

For some reason the authors and publishing companys of these negative type books think that the "morals" or "lessons" of the story some how pretains to what a kid is feeling or going through at certain ages.

I don't like them either, and it seems they are slowly appearing more and more.  I, too, hate the idea of having to censor what my kid reads, but I kinda have to. It's sad.

When my son was a toddler I came across (at a yard sale), what looked like a cute book about this little ducky who was having a hard time keeping up with his siblings with different ducky milestones (swimming, flying, diving, etc.). I thought what a good book to teach my son about trying his hardest and practicing until he acomplished his goal.

NOPE! Everytime this poor ducky worked at a milestone, Daddy Duck would say negative things similar to "Your sibling do it better" or "You aren't doing good enough."

Honestly...I think I might have the book still, but I not sure. May have thrown it out finally in disgust. I kept it as a reminder and example of what a bad book is.

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Nov. 10, 2009 at 1:00 AM

Heres a page from I hate everyone a childrens book sigh*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)