Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Could NOT believe this!!!!

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:17 AM
  • 20 Replies

Today when we were at the surgery center with my sister there was a mother and daughter, the daughter couldn't have been more than 6.  I assumed right away she was having surgery because she was in her pajama's.  The nurse came out and called this little girl back and the mom asked the nurse, "Do I need to go back there with her?"  I seriously could not believe what I just heard!!  Why would you even ask that??  OF COURSE she needs you!!......She is having surgery, about to get her I.V. put in and is probably scared shitless!! 

After my sister had her surgery we went to eat and go shopping (her surgery was in a city an hour and a half away).  When we get back this same mom comes back out to the waiting room.  It hadn't been maybe 10-15 minutes at the MOST and she walks up to the receptionist and asks "Is it okay if I leave for awhile?"  WTF!!!  Thank goodness the receptionist told her, "No, because your daughter is a minor you need to be here at all times." 

I sat there in shock!!  Why would leave your child?  What if something happened?  OMG!!!  I was furious!!  Some people REALLY should not have kids.........

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
myfoursonsks
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:21 AM

Some surgery centers do not allow the parents back when they are doing the IV's and stuff.  Maybe she thought she couldn't go back.

When my son had open heart surgery, there was a point that I had to pass him off to the nurse so she could take him back for his surgery.  I started fainting while I was holding him.  It was really bad.  That fear of him being separated from me was almost unbearable.

randmmom05
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:22 AM

Not bringing her DD in at all to have a needed procedure done would constitute the shouldn't have kids statement.

mommaboudreaux
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:23 AM

Omg!

I cannot even imagine!!  My son almost had to have surgery on his scalp because his soft spot closed too son.  I was scared to death even thinking about that!

Is he okay?  Was that recently?

Quoting myfoursonsks:

Some surgery centers do not allow the parents back when they are doing the IV's and stuff.  Maybe she thought she couldn't go back.

When my son had open heart surgery, there was a point that I had to pass him off to the nurse so she could take him back for his surgery.  I started fainting while I was holding him.  It was really bad.  That fear of him being separated from me was almost unbearable.

Tazz2
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:24 AM

this, plus she may have wanted to leave to get a book or bite to eat if she had been too worried in the days coming up to the surgery day.  I know when my mil had back surgery the first time we all waited, but by her 5th back surgery we were comfortable enough to come and go if we needed something

Quoting myfoursonsks:

myfoursonsks
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:24 AM

It was April 27, 2000.  But, it still seems like yesterday to me.  :) 

Quoting mommaboudreaux:

Omg!

I cannot even imagine!!  My son almost had to have surgery on his scalp because his soft spot closed too son.  I was scared to death even thinking about that!

Is he okay?  Was that recently?

Quoting myfoursonsks:

NattysMommy
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:25 AM

You don't know what was being done to the little girl and maybe this was the first time the mom had ever been through this! When my DD had "surgery" (they just put her under to get compacted wax out of her ears) DH and I went and got breakfast real quick cause we were starving, the surgery was extremely early and we couldn't wait any longer. Don't be so harsh!! 

kiralyn
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:27 AM

i was never told i had to sit in the waiting room while my dd had surgery. you should remember, alot of kids have to have minor surgeries often..mine did. it wasnt a "freak out" thing every single time...she'd go back, id go eat at the cafateria or do whatever in the hospital, then go back when they paged me that she was done.

also, most surgery places dont let you go all the way back with your kid..so she probably thought thats how that place was.

LuvmySFSGT
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:28 AM

My daughter was hospitalized for 2 months...sometimes it is better for you to not be in the room....I was told this by MANY doctors...I was also told to go get "fresh air" and "take a walk" many times during procedures...

Shy_Dia
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:29 AM

yea, they wouldnt even let me go with my son when he had his surgery (a cyst removed from his collarbone. he'll probably need it redone). he had just turned 3 years old a few months ago. i was allowed to go to his individual waiting room with him while they gave him a fluid that made him drowsey (sp)... they wheeled him into the surgery room and i went the opposite way to wait in the waiting room, where you could see the "progress" of the surgery (pre-surgery, in surgery, resting). when it went to resting, you could go back to the individual waiting room was and he'd be wheeled back out in the crib. you'd stay there for like a hour or two and then you'd leave.

Maybe she's so used to having her child have surgery that by now its like protocol, ya know. i know after that one surgery, if i had to do it again (for the same procedure), i wouldnt have worried or stressed or anything.

mommyto3in08
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:31 AM

Sometimes to be able to take care of our children we have to take care of ourselves, by eating,sleeping etc.  Maybe she wanted to go get the child's pain pills for when she was released maybe she needed food, maybe she needed to walk out and get a breath of fresh air because she had been in and out of the hospital for the days,weeks,months.prior.  Its not right to judge without walking in that persons shoes and not knowing the whole story..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)