Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how to potty train..

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:19 AM
  • 9 Replies

So i just read a posst about potty training and everyone kept saying that when the baby was ready they went 'full force'.

Does anyone care to explain exactly what going full force is... im a first time mom and my daughter is one and im wondering if i should start now and how i even do it.. please no bashing..  

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mommywife2b
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:26 AM

shrugging anybody 

shananagins86
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:28 AM

I'm in the same boat!  I don't know if I should start now or wait!  I do know that my DHs aunt didn't start potty training until her DD was almost 2, and she's 2 1/2 now and wear diapers at night.  I would REALLY like it if I could stop changing diapers before then lol, but I have no idea how to start!

You can't get to know me through a blurb, because I can't sum myself up with one.   coast guard Proud to be a Coastie wife!

RyleighsMoM3505
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:34 AM

I have a 4.5 dd who has been potty trained since she was about 18 months or so. She was wanting to go on her own for awhile ( and verbalized this) but lost interest then all of a sudden it was all the time.  We got rid of diapers, bought pull-ups for nights (only put them on after she fell asleep) and bought as many pairs of panties we could manage.  Full force means just sticking to it. Asking her if she has to go often or having her go sit on the potty with a book or something else.  I really don't recommend the little potties. Get one of those that fit on yours so they feel really big.  It seriously only took us a long holiday weekend and she was trained. 

eay137
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:36 AM

My MIL gave me the basics.  I'm a first time mom too and we've kinda been putting off the potty training because my DD think's it's all a game and just wants to play with the TP rolls and the flusher thingy.  We're waiting a month or so to try again, but anyway this is what my MIL told me.

Give her some time to get to know the potty.  Let her play with it if it's just a potty chair and let her watch you potty. I would explain everything I did, even if she wasn't always paying attention.  Then, when she's comfortable, take her sit on the potty every half hour or so untill she starts going.  You can reward her, we used a poster on the wall with stickers, but I've heard all kinds of things, stickers on the hand, matchbox cars, M&M's, whatever works.  When she's going pretty regularly, put her in some undies.  THen she'll start to realize the difference between diapers or pull ups and undies and most likely like the undies better.  They have a better range of movement.  She will wet them.  They also don't like the wet undies sensation, so they learn better how to controll it. 

I personally think one is a bit young, but that's just me.  Unless she's got good communication skills and can let you know when she needs to go.  Most Dr's recomend starting around 18 months.  My daughter was a late talker, so we didn't start till after two, and it's not going that well, but we keep at it.  At the very beginning my dd wouldn't go in the potty at all.  She'd actually hold it so that she could go in her pull up!  So we gave it a week, and put her on the potty as soon as she woke up.  WHen she actually went in the toilet it went a little better for awhile, till she starting thinking it was a game.  We'll try again soon.

Hope this helped.  Good Luck.

kiralyn
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:41 AM

i just bought her a potty around 1 years old. i never forced it, she sat on it whenever she felt like it..sat on it when i was going to the bathroom etc. then one day (she was 18 months) she went to it to pee all by herself. after two days of no accidents i switched her to all panties, even through the night. she had the occasional accident, but she has never wet the bed. i think they will do it when they are ready...just keep a potty around and talk about what the potty is for etc. oh, and never punish for an accident. good luck!

kenziejosmommy
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:49 AM

Go to babycenter.com. Look up potty training. There you can find all the signs to know when your baby is ready.

A few of those are, pulling off clothing, interest in the potty, able to stay 'dry' for (i think) 8 hours, and able to sit for at least 3 minutes.. i'm not sure about the last, it might be 5.

1 is usually a little early to start. But your child will "let you know". The biggest thing is them understand what to do on the potty and knowing they HAVE to go. Knowing they have gone is picked up pretty easily. You can always introduce the potty now though :)

mommywife2b
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:54 AM

thank you ladies for all the wonderful advice and tips!!! 

mistyray
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:10 AM

I trained both my kids in 1 week. I did not leave the house for that week I set a timer and every 10 min. I set them on the potty. by the end of the week they would go and get on the potty on there own. you have to watch your child and make sure that they are ready to be trained, My DD was trained before she turned 2 my son was 2 years 3 months.

MixedCooke
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:38 AM

I found it easier by first telling her what she did in the diaper, explaining that I was going potty when I went to the bathroom, explaining pee pee out of tushie and poo poo out of heiny, and pee and poo poo in the potty.  I also found it easier going naked to train her because the diaper still provided the safety net.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)