Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone ever had or heard of EM?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:28 AM
  • 11 Replies

My son always seems to be having skin problems. He gets rashes so easily, but their usually always small, and about 6-7 months ago he got a big abcess in his groin, and it had to be cut out... twice...

So anyway, on Sunday I woke up with my son having this HORRIBLE rash, ALL over his body, from head to toe. I was a little worried, but it was light pink. As the day went on, it got darker pink and reddish looking. I gave him benadryl and rash cream, and by the next morning it hadn't work. In fact, the next morning it was on his eyelids, and in his earlobes, and they looked puffy, so we took him to the er... After a 5 hour wait they told us it was em... ERYTHEMA MULTIFORME, which is just a body rash that comes from many reasons, like a viral rash, and lasts for 2-3 weeks and goes away on its own.... The docs say it looks worse than it is... And boy, it looked sooo bad... it's now almost thurday and its still everywhere... and now he's starting to get a fever...

Has anyone else ever have this? I'm just curious because i've never heard of it before. And online, it said that it is sometimes misdiagnosed, and can really be Steven-johnson syndrom, which is the same only way worse with a high mortality rate....

It is just so scared that my son gets rashes a lot and ends up with this... he's not even 2 1/2 years old yet. I'm so worried for him. I'm starting to think maybe there is an underlying cause for all these problems. Like an autoimmune problem or liver problem.... what do you other mommas think?

Sorry post is sooo long, but I've been holding this inside and wanted to share. Thanks for listening =)

Here's a pic of him the first night....

**Danessa***

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danessa
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:31 AM

BUMP

shananagins86
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:33 AM

I would be so scared...that's what second opinions are for!  Tell your doc that you want to make sure...better than finding out the hard way.  Good luck and I wish you and DS the best!

You can't get to know me through a blurb, because I can't sum myself up with one.   coast guard Proud to be a Coastie wife!

scrapinmom88
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:35 AM

poor baby!!

CafeMom Tickers
lilahsmommie

If you think it is Autoimmune you need to take him to the doc and ask for testing for that(while he has this rash because if it is then the disease is active and can be diagnosed and might not otherwise be diagnosed). The Autoimmune diseasease that causes rashes like that is not that common in males but can happen, and they use an ANA test for the inital screening for it. I have it, I know. I will not tell you what it is because I am not a doc, but if it is auttoimmune, it is almost impossible to detect while disease is not "flairing" 

I would take him to his regular doc.

babies
BonitaM

aww poor baby.  Hope he feels better.  My sister had a viral rash and the doc said it could last up to 4 months but it wasn't that bad.  I would get a second opinion or mention to his regular doc what you had read on the net.  Better safe than sorry. 

jothra
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:36 AM

I haven't, but here's a bump. Your poor LO!

mistyray
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:37 AM

My DD had it about 2 years ago. It lasted over the weekend then it was gone.

Danessa
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:41 AM

Thank you.... I hope he feels better too... And i've been waiting to get into my regular doc, and I had my appointment today, when 20 minutes before they called to say they had to close for an office emergency... So I have to wait until tomorrow, and its just eating me up inside.... My poor baby just seems to get sick like this a lot, and has sweating problems, where he is ALWAYS sweating... but for each individual thing, the docs say its probably nothing, but it just worries me... And they always say its probably nothing, because of the fact that with these things going on, he usually still acts normal and drinks normal and is not losing weight or anything.

Danessa
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:45 AM

Quoting mistyray:

That's good it didn't last long. Did she itch or have other symptoms? and, do you know what caused her to get it? they say the majority of the time its from a medication or something, or some sort of change...

mistyray
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:53 AM

Quoting Danessa:

Quoting mistyray:

That's good it didn't last long. Did she itch or have other symptoms? and, do you know what caused her to get it? they say the majority of the time its from a medication or something, or some sort of change...

I cant remember what caused it (I dont think we ever figured that out) but I do remember her itching like mad. At first we thought she had Hives and could not figure out how she would have got them if we did not leave the house (she has some really bad food allergies).  I hope that your lil one gets over it as fast as mine did.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)