Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bipolar Awareness...Video may be disturbing to some

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:28 AM
  • 7 Replies

I'm writing this post to hopefully help people in realizing the severity of being BiPolar. We had recently been wondering if my father in law could possibly be BiPolar. He's been living with us for about 3 years now and is an alcoholic as well. He had been exhibiting characteristics of BiPolar disorder, but DH and I were hesitant to push him to get tested, partially because he is a grown man and who are we to push him to do something, and partially because we were told they cannot diagnose someone as BiPolar unless they have are experiencing the Manic side of the disorder. The Dr has pretty much told us that his father has been self medicating himself for years w/ the alcohol and that when he tried to stop drinking the mania pretty much took over. The video is disturbing. My parents only made it halfway through. This is our house, this is what we came home to after taking a trip to Disney with our boys...please keep in mind that when DH made this video he was under the impression that this was all done in a drunken binge and had he known his father had a mental disorder he would not have been joking about things. Please Please, if you have any reason to wonder about the mental stability of a family member, take action on it. I would not wish this upon anyone.

BiPolar Disorder can be helped

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

save the date
save the date

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
jenniamigo
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:45 AM

im sorry

3kidz4me
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:54 AM

Watching your video, you can just "feel" how out of control your Father in Law was.......you had to be so shocked to walk in to your home and see that. Sad.......

Punky_1981
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:11 AM

I am so sorry you had to go through that. How horrible. I know this sounds really bad, but I really hope you got him the help he needs and then showed him this video. He needs to know what he did. Who paid for everything to be repaired in your home? I can see how he pretty much just lost control. I have a friend that is Bipolar, and the only thing I can tell you, is it can be managed, but only if the person takes the medication. Drinking really makes it worse. The mood swings are just completely out of control at times. She physically beat her boyfriend with a power cord strip. You know the ones you can plug several things into at once. Then when he got that away from her, she grabbed a bed post, and started chasing him with it. Keep in mind, this was not at home. This was at a storage unit they were moving their stuff out of. It's really scary to see these things happening, and I hope you get him some help. Really its a bad situation for your kids to be around too. So very sad.

ff-princess
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:47 AM

you should not have to be in the midst of a manic episode in order to get diagnosed, only to have previously had a manic episode along with the depression.  however, bipolar disorder can be managed and quite well when you get the right combination of medications and take them religiously.  the problem with that is that many bipolar people actually like the way they feel when in a manic state and don't want to take their meds and lose that feeling.  also, a lot of bipolar folks stop taking their meds once they are stabilized because they feel better, why should they have to continue to take their meds?

I'm sorry that your family is going through this.  one thing you can do is get your FIL into the emergency room and tell them that you are afraid he is a danger to himself or other people.  this should get him admitted under the Baker Act, and they will probably hold him for about 72 hours while they attempt to get him under control. 

will your homeowners insurance cover the damage?  heck, I probably would have called the police to report a break-in just to make sure it does.  good luck, I hope everything works out quickly. 

BronxBommaMomma
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Everything is back in order now. DH and I took some time from work and got all of the garbage bagged up, then my parents paid to have a cleaning crew come in and scrub and sanitize. It took a couple days before we let our son back into the house. We were lucky enough to have friends and neighbors that watched him overnight. As for my father in law, we did call the police the first night and he was brought to the ER and placed in 72 hr watch. From their they brought him to a mental treatment center which he will be for a total of 1 week. Next step is a halfway house since DH and I do not want him back in the house until he's been medicated for quite some time. We would like to see him continue the meds and help himself, since we can no longer help him. It sounds cruel but he is very aware he will not see his grandsons again unless he chooses to medicate, I just cannot put their safety at risk. I was really hoping to get the awareness out there since BiPolar Disorder is becoming increasingly more common.

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

save the date
save the date

ff-princess
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:03 AM

I don't think that's cruel at all, I think you are looking out for the welfare of your child, which is the parents' job.  I commend you for doing everything possible to get him the help he needs; now it's up to him to continue therapy (even if it's just his meds) and be responsible for his health.

I don't really know if bipolar disorder is becoming more common, or is just being more recognized now.  I think that a lot of mental illnesses have always been around, but until it's listed in the DSM it isn't recognized by insurance companies as an illness.  I also think a lot of people don't know that bipolar disorder used to be called manic depression and that they are the same exact diagnosis, just with updated wording.

kudos to you for doing what you have to do to watch out for your family's well being.  please feel free to get in touch with me if you need anything.

Quoting BronxBommaMomma:

Everything is back in order now. DH and I took some time from work and got all of the garbage bagged up, then my parents paid to have a cleaning crew come in and scrub and sanitize. It took a couple days before we let our son back into the house. We were lucky enough to have friends and neighbors that watched him overnight. As for my father in law, we did call the police the first night and he was brought to the ER and placed in 72 hr watch. From their they brought him to a mental treatment center which he will be for a total of 1 week. Next step is a halfway house since DH and I do not want him back in the house until he's been medicated for quite some time. We would like to see him continue the meds and help himself, since we can no longer help him. It sounds cruel but he is very aware he will not see his grandsons again unless he chooses to medicate, I just cannot put their safety at risk. I was really hoping to get the awareness out there since BiPolar Disorder is becoming increasingly more common.

DonnaKeith
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:10 AM

My heart just breaks for you all. Your husband is a remarkable man, tho. Even when he was TRYING to be humorous, you could hear his voice crack, like he just couldn't believe it. Keep us posted...

Donna KeithWife to JC, Mom to Hannah, Cody & Eli
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)