Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

a lil carseat help... please dont turn it into a drama thing

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:28 AM
  • 13 Replies

Ok so I have a new baby coming in January, and it has been getting cold down here, I also have a 15 m/o who I am not putting back to rf, but would like advice on how to keep her warm in the car, (heat doesnt go back to the back no matter what)  My questions are how do I keep a newborn and 15 m/o warm? How do I fit me, a Graco snugride, and GN in the back seat? And is my is this how your supposed to have them in a GN?? (pix will be included.) Also is it safe to Install that with just the seat belt?

Here is the GS

this is dd in her GN

CafeMom Tickers
CafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommynMonster
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:33 AM

This: its a hooded fleece blanket that doesn't interfere with the carseat at all

transposeat223

http://www.cjsewingroom.com/?p=285

MommynMonster
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:36 AM

Also, the older child should be in the middle seat. I think that carrier has slots for the seat belt to go across, so if its on the side seats, pull the shoulder belt all the way out until it locks.

armywifenmom09
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:36 AM

I put a cover over DD in her infant carseat last winter... the car we have has no heater whatsoever....  this winter I'll just be putting blankets over her and keeping her in warm clothing...

EJsHottMama
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:37 AM

no a car seat nazi ;) ;) but to me the chest clip looks a little low other the that not sure don't have the GN.

as for hoe to fit both what kind of car do you have??? our 3yr old use to ride on the passanger side until we had our son then moved her to the drivers side and our son is on the passanger side now because hubby to tall and likes the seat back all the way. 

hope that helps. sorry if its short and hard to understand am trying to type and feed our son and talk on the phone...... lol

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

armywifenmom09
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:38 AM

Oh and as far as using the seat belt as long as you get it tight enough it should be safe... I do not have the LATCH system (my car is a 1989) and have so far had no issues with installing the carseats... 

Trinity0820
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:42 AM

we have a honda civic 1996 i think... the back seat is small and the middle strap is loose so we put dd on the side. if i were to put him in i can tighten the belt tight enough and it sticks for a day but we had accidents where dd would flip in it when it was in the middle.

CafeMom Tickers
CafeMom Tickers
bensmum25
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:42 AM

For the infant carseat they  make special blankets that go around the seat, and over the baby, while baby is buckled. I like to call them blanky sacks, but they are like bunting things, and they come in all colors and all variety's of thickness. Last winter I bought one at babies r us, I know you can order them online as well.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
babyboomboom
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:44 AM

1) Join the car seat safety group on here.

2) Yes you can use that seat without the base and use just the seatbelt to install it.

3) You can use a cover for the infant car seat that goes over the seat like a shower cap like this:

Kiddopotamus - CozyUp Carrier Cover, Pink

It goes over the car seat and the baby so you buckle baby in, then you zip up the cover.  Do NOT get a JJ Cole BundleMe.  It is not safe and causes a lot of bulk.  It also twists the straps and re-routes them.  You should NEVER use anything that goes between baby and car seat.

4)  For your older DD.  Take the extra padding insert out of the GN.  It doesn't look like she needs it.  The straps for FF need to be at or above the shoulders.  In the pic it looks like they are below.  The headrest could be moved down a little bit.  Her head should be in the middle of the 'wings' on the headrest.  The straps look nice and snug and the chest clip needs to be bumped up a smidge(at armpit level).

5)  To keep her warm you can get a fleece jacket or you can order a car seat poncho  http://www.carseatponcho.com/index.html  It is like a fleece blanket that zips around your child after you buckle them in the car seat.  To see if a sweatshirt or fleece is too thick you can put your DD in the seat with the coat/sweatshirt on and adjust the straps accordingly.  Then take the coat off and put your DD back in the seat.  DON'T adjust the straps.  If you can fit more than one finger between the straps at your DD's collarbone then the jacket/sweatshirt is too thick to wear in the car seat.  You can also put a big blanket on her while you are in the car.  That is what I do with my son who is 16months.  He wears his fleece jacket and has a blanket in the car because out heat sucks.

I hope I answered your questions.  Feel free to PM me and join the car seat safety group.  We have tons of car seat techs and car seat passionate mommies.    http://www.cafemom.com/group/5739

~Sarah
Child Passenger Safety Tech w/ SAFE KIDS

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
wesleysmom08
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:53 AM

I dont know about your car but in my car its impossible to put someone in the middle of both seats. i have a monte carlo woth a graco snugride and a graco nautilus (cant put my oldest in the middle anymore because of the way the base fits on the side). You can put the seat in without the base. I have a cover that goes over my sons carseat that keeps him warm. It slips over the carseat (not under any of the belts) and zips open/closed to you can get the baby in and out easier. As for your toddler, I dont know what to say. With my son we put a coat some heavy pants on him(we are in colorado and it snows like crazy).

mommy4ever07
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:13 AM

Get one of the covers that go over the infant seat and if need be put a blanket on over the baby and under the cover. As for you toddler my son uses a normal winter coat always has and always will. It is below zero here already and way to cold for those fleece things people try to get you to put on them JMO.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)