Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Constipation.......

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:58 AM
  • 7 Replies

My son has been constipated on and off for about a month.  We have had to give him 3 suppositories.  We have been giving him more juice and they recommended giving him a laxative daily.  It has helped but he is still not "regular."  He only goes between two and three times a week.  Should I be concerned?  The dr doesn't seem too worried.  Are there any thoughts what could cause this?  What foods have alot of fiber so I can add/increase them in his diet?  Should I take him to another doctor?  Or take him back in?

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
stephNcary
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:06 AM

My 17 month old doesnt always go every day but some days he goes a couple times a day. does yours do this? i dont think that i would be worried unless he seems to be in pain from it, or if you think its actually affecting him in some way. It may also be that he's eating to much iron too that can cause you to get plugged up. Giving your child laxatives all the time isnt good for him and will make his body dependent on it.

Taking each day as it comes and trying to make the best out of every situation. I love my family and hate to cook, Taco bell is my favorite although i try not to eat out all the time. Im a probreastfeeding, anti CIO, gotta work kind of mom.

our newest addition coming soon:

mommaboudreaux
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:09 AM

He used to go go a couple times a day and then not other days but that hasn't been in awhile.  When he poops now, it does seem to cause him pain.  He starts grunting and turning red and sometimes cries from it.  His poop is a lot harder than it used to be too.  I really don't like giving him the laxative at all and I was really worried that he would become dependent on it. 

Quoting stephNcary:

My 17 month old doesnt always go every day but some days he goes a couple times a day. does yours do this? i dont think that i would be worried unless he seems to be in pain from it, or if you think its actually affecting him in some way. It may also be that he's eating to much iron too that can cause you to get plugged up. Giving your child laxatives all the time isnt good for him and will make his body dependent on it.

stephNcary
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:29 AM

try watching what you feed him and the amount of iron in it...it may be something else but with hard poop and only going a couple times a week i would go with thinking hes got to much in his system and see what happens from there. and while your cutting it out continue to give him applejuice it should help too. then if that helps start cutting back on the juice and continue watching the iron and see what happens. its worth a shot at least. if this doesnt help i would say to keep a sample of his poop/ maybe even a whole diaper and take that in to the dr. to ask again. im heading to bed but ill check back on here during naptime/bedtime (depending whats going on) over the next few days to see how things are going. if you want add a comment to my page so i can find you easier.

Taking each day as it comes and trying to make the best out of every situation. I love my family and hate to cook, Taco bell is my favorite although i try not to eat out all the time. Im a probreastfeeding, anti CIO, gotta work kind of mom.

our newest addition coming soon:

AshGabKaiser
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:35 AM

A  wonderful , VERY SAFE , alternative   for constipation for baby :

If wee one is on a bottle or cereal , put 1 tablespoon of DARK carol syrup in the bottle or cereal. ( Dark carol syrup is in the baking section of the store.)  TRUST ME ........It looks like brown milk when it get's in the bottle or cereal , but after a day to a day and 1/2 , he'll be having BLOW OUTS.

This is a very safe way & we did it with # 3 daughter for several months. We were told to use this by a holistic practitioner  .

mstnbecki
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:31 AM

My son just spent a week in the hospital because he was serverally constipated and dehydreated.He is disabled so he cant work his muscles like we do. He is now on Miralax which you can buy over the counter give it to him once a day daily 

mommaboudreaux
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:33 PM

I completely forgot about Caro syrup!!!  That used to work wonders for him when he was an infant!!  And yes it does look like brown milk haha....................I'm going to try that again!!!

Quoting AshGabKaiser:

A  wonderful , VERY SAFE , alternative   for constipation for baby :

If wee one is on a bottle or cereal , put 1 tablespoon of DARK carol syrup in the bottle or cereal. ( Dark carol syrup is in the baking section of the store.)  TRUST ME ........It looks like brown milk when it get's in the bottle or cereal , but after a day to a day and 1/2 , he'll be having BLOW OUTS.

This is a very safe way & we did it with # 3 daughter for several months. We were told to use this by a holistic practitioner  .

_MommaB_
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:38 PM

hi lady! im sorry about the little guy..Eli used to get rally really constipated from her rice ceral and had to give her supositories (sp) its aweful....but i hope all else is well..ill talk to you soon!

combingtattoobaby girl-Isaiah-Briana-and-Eliana-

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)