Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Trouble Weaning

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:50 AM
  • 5 Replies

DD is almost 7 months. I have decided to wean her from BFing and have done so totally during the day, but still nurse at night. Now that the daytime nursing sessions are gone, she wants to nurse even more. A bottle doesn't satisfy her. And, she's up every hour and a half at night. The only way I can get her back to sleep is nursing her. I'm up for hours with her screaming bloody murder if I don't give in and nurse her at night. How can I get her to go back to sleep without nursing?

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Kristenfairy
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:52 AM

Honestly, I wanted to wean after 7 months too, but the DR says your LO should still get Breastmilk or Formula up to 12 months. Do you have to wean or just want to?

brandneweyes
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:56 AM

Do you have to wean her now? If she is having so much trouble, and a bottle isn't satisfying her, maybe that's a signal that she isn't ready. Seven months is pretty early to wean from the breast. 

bizzeemom2717
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:00 AM

Quoting Kristenfairy:

Honestly, I wanted to wean after 7 months too, but the DR says your LO should still get Breastmilk or Formula up to 12 months. Do you have to wean or just want to?

I was going to ask the same thing. Both of my kids seemed to make it clear when they were ready to wean and it was a piece of cake! It must be difficult with both o you missing out on your sleep.

Texasgal99
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:08 AM

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

Quoting Kristenfairy:

I was going to ask the same thing. Both of my kids seemed to make it clear when they were ready to wean and it was a piece of cake! It must be difficult with both o you missing out on your sleep.

I don't have to, I'm just ready to at this point. It's too hard on all of us. As it was, I was only nursing her twice a day because of my work schedule and then she would be up every 2 hours at night.
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
bizzeemom2717
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:21 AM

Can someone else besides you go into the baby's room to help your DD get back to sleep? That way, she may not expect the breast milk and be more willing to take a bottle. Most friends I know that have recently gone through this have said the first 5 days are TERRIBLE, but gets much better from there! Good luck! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)