Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my baby has a fever :( i dont know what to do! update****

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:51 AM
  • 17 Replies

we laid ds down for bed at 9 like always. he woke up around 10 and was really hot. i told dh and he just told me to cut the heat down. through the night i ended up cutting on the air because he was super hot still. around 2 i brought him in to bed with me and dh because he wouldnt sleep. and he still didnt sleep well. so after dh got up for work i checked his temp. 100.9 :( i dont know what to do. i dont want to take him to the doctor unless i absolutely have to. if he's still running a high fever tomorrow, then i'll take him. or if it gets higher today. but as home remedies...what do i do?? he's 10 months old. i've already given him some tylenol and dh told me to give him some juice. what else can i do for him? please. this is the first time my lo has been sick.

**update**

i gave him the tylenol at probably 5:30. he fought sleep until about 6:30. we just woke up and i immediately felt him and he wasnt warm anymore. ??? i mean...can fevers only last a night? i checked him temp again and its completely gone. for those who said not to worry bc its not much of a fever, guess you're right. but i'm still a new mommy and my boo hasnt been sick yet so it really freaked me out. lol. i'm going to continue watching him throughout the day but thank you so much mommas.

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3greatkids751
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:56 AM

Does he have any other symptoms like pulling at his ears? or cough or runny nose or anything?  There is a lot of cold and flu going around so that might be it, or it may be a simple ear infection. All you can do is give him Tylenol and push fluids as much as he will take them =) You can also give him tempid baths and that helps bring the fever down TONS! We have been dealing w/ colds and flus in our house for the past MONTH =( Hope your LO feels better soon mama and its always tough to have a LO that small so sick. ((HUGS))

Wife to my Marine 3-7-07  Mommy to 3 little princess's - Faith  2-16-02, Kaylee 3-14-04, Madison 1-24-08.. Expecting #4 in 2010!!pregnancy

Got Mamas Milk BlinkieI Love My LCPL BlinkieProud Mom Of Girls Blinkie

Isla_Mama
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:57 AM

This is not medical advice- see a doctor if you hve questions:

Your doctor should have an after hours emergency phone line - you can just call them and see what they think you should do; usually they will tell you to try .  Keep in mind that anything over 100.3 is a fever for a child his age (10 months) so if he is sustaining that you probably would want to have him seen... especially now, in flu season.  Our pediatrician often tells us to try a luke warm bath (not warm or hot!) to help bring down the fever; if that doesn't work, they usually tell us to bring her in to be seen.

Susan262
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:57 AM

I wouldn't worry at this time.  A temp of 100 for a baby isn't really anything to be too concerned about.  But keep a watch on him.  You can use a tepid wash cloth to wipe him off with and try to keep him comfortable.  The Tylenol was the best thing, the fever may come down now.  But watch for anything else to pop up.  Especially a rash, in the case I would call the Dr office for advise. 

brittneyon
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:58 AM

whats a tempid bath? and no. no other symptoms i notice so far. just a fever.

Quoting 3greatkids751:

Does he have any other symptoms like pulling at his ears? or cough or runny nose or anything?  There is a lot of cold and flu going around so that might be it, or it may be a simple ear infection. All you can do is give him Tylenol and push fluids as much as he will take them =) You can also give him tempid baths and that helps bring the fever down TONS! We have been dealing w/ colds and flus in our house for the past MONTH =( Hope your LO feels better soon mama and its always tough to have a LO that small so sick. ((HUGS))

3greatkids751
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 6:00 AM

Just a luke warm bath (not hot and not cold) just a cool one.. Also call his pedi too and give him or her a heads up on the situation and see if its worth bringing him in for. GL

Quoting brittneyon:

whats a tempid bath? and no. no other symptoms i notice so far. just a fever.

Quoting 3greatkids751:

Wife to my Marine 3-7-07  Mommy to 3 little princess's - Faith  2-16-02, Kaylee 3-14-04, Madison 1-24-08.. Expecting #4 in 2010!!pregnancy

brittneyon
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 6:00 AM

ilooked up the tepid thing. i have some johnsons vapor bath stuff for babies who are sick. can i use that?

Quoting Susan262:

I wouldn't worry at this time.  A temp of 100 for a baby isn't really anything to be too concerned about.  But keep a watch on him.  You can use a tepid wash cloth to wipe him off with and try to keep him comfortable.  The Tylenol was the best thing, the fever may come down now.  But watch for anything else to pop up.  Especially a rash, in the case I would call the Dr office for advise. 

3greatkids751
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 6:03 AM

I know the question wasn't directed to me but yah you can, that helps my kiddos a lot when they are stuffed up during a cold and its got a lot of comforting smell to it for them!

Quoting brittneyon:

ilooked up the tepid thing. i have some johnsons vapor bath stuff for babies who are sick. can i use that?

Quoting Susan262:

Isla_Mama
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 6:04 AM

You probably don't even need to use that at this point - just go with the lukewarm (tepid) water and bathe him as you normally would.  If you call your Dr. and give a heads up you will probably feel better yourself.

gemcat
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 6:09 AM

Becareful with the temp.  My son has had seizures because of the temp.  Give Tylenol ever 4 hours give warm baths and lots of liquids. 

AlaskanMommy81
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 6:13 AM

If there aren't any other symptoms besides the fever then it could be just a virus that he is fighting off.  This has happened to on of my boys, just a few months older than your baby, and I took him to the doctor he said it was just a virus.  A few days later he ended up with rash so I called the doctor and he said this was probably from the virus that the fever was fighting off.  So it could be something like that.  As long as the baby has the fever you can alternate between Motrin and Tylenol.  I wouldn't do this more than a day or two as long as the fever can be kept under control.  If it lasts more than a day or two, or if the medicine isn't bringing it down, I would take him in as soon as possible just to make sure nothing is going on. 

I hate it when my kids are sick.  I have three boys, ages 4 1/2, 2 1/2, and 7 months, and last month all three of them had the swine flu at the same time and that was tough!  The 2 1/2 year old fever kept creeping up to 103 and we did take him to the doctor, as he was the first one who got sick, and basically he just said use the Motrin and Tylenol and bring him back if the fever got up to 104.  He was also the same one who got RSV at 8 months old and that was definitely no fun.  It always makes me feel very uneasy, but usually they get well with no major problems.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)