Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am not sure if i should send him to school?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 6:39 AM
  • 13 Replies

My son has a runny nose and sounds congested.  He says his throat hurts too.  But no fever.  This is only his second day of school.  I am not sure if i should keep him home or send him to school.  I have never had a kid in school before so i am not sure what the "rules" are.

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 6:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momaof8
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 6:43 AM

Why would you send a sick child anywhere? Would you let him go to a play date sick? Why would you send him to be miserable all day?

Check out my book http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Yes-They-Are-All-Mine/Linda-Dyson/e/9781438909295/?itm=3   You can help save lives check it out !

reading

Jill0504
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 6:44 AM

Does he feel really bad, or is he still playing and being himself? Personally, if they are not running a fever or throwing up things like that I would send them. I know it's hard mine just started there school careers a couple of years ago and one this year and I still sometimes have no clue about school stuff. Things have changed so much since we went to school. :) I hope he feels better soon. :)

unknownjourney
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 6:44 AM

Schools have different regulations but if you leave them home every time they have a runny nose they will spend most of the time home.  I have always had my personal rule of if you have a fever or you are vomiting then you stay home otherwise you go to bed. I would give your child a little cold medicine and send him on his way. 

NattysMommy
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 6:46 AM

If you think he is making it up send him in with a note to the teacher explaining he was feeling yucky and you'd like a phone call if he is still complaining of pain. 

ribbons4curls
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 6:48 AM

I run a daycare at home. So my rules are dont send your kid with a constant green runny nose or fever over 100. Don't send them when they're throwing up or diarreah if he doesn't fall in those catogories i'd send him.

Swtmama62205
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 6:48 AM

Quoting momaof8:

Why would you send a sick child anywhere? Would you let him go to a play date sick? Why would you send him to be miserable all day?

um no reason to be snotty...I'm not sure if hes actually really "sick"  I heard if they dont have fevers to send them

Swtmama62205
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 6:49 AM

Thanks everyone!  He is still acting like himself .  I'll give him a little bit of cold medicine and send a note with him and tell them if he feels yucky to call me and i'll come get him. 

Jill0504
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 6:51 AM

Quoting Swtmama62205:

Thanks everyone!  He is still acting like himself .  I'll give him a little bit of cold medicine and send a note with him and tell them if he feels yucky to call me and i'll come get him. 

:) That's a good idea. We just went through this, my kids have been sick on and off for 2 weeks. It was horrible :(

Maries_Mom23
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 6:58 AM

My DD's rules are they can come with a runny nose/cough, as long as they don't have a fever.  A couple of weeks ago, my DD (6), had a runny nose and scratchy throat but "felt" fine (playing, eating, etc).  No fever, so I sent her.  Teacher said that was fine, she just held on to a tissue all day, just in case.  I would send him as long as he's acting fine and not acting sick. 

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
mom2ljh
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:04 AM

A lack of fever does NOT always mean lack of illness.  He is presenting with symptoms, you should keep him home, at least I probably would.  My son rarely runs a fever over 99.6, even when he's very ill.

Amanda ~ Mommy to my little miracle Landon Joel
born 6 weeks too soon~6-21-07, former refluxer, multiple food allergies, verbal regression, and the coolest kid on the block.

Then                                           Now

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)