Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No toenail?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:54 AM
  • 17 Replies

another post reminded me of a question i keep meaning to ask here b/c no one i know has this issue. my daughters little toes have teeny tiny toe nails, shes 4 and they are tiny. anyways, they are practically detached from the toe. i mean they are raised at the tip, and about every other month the whole nail falls off. none of her other toes do this, and its both little toes so not an issue w/just one. the first time it happened she was about 14 months old and i called the doc and he said she'd probably hurt it and it would heal on its own blah blah. well now it continues to do so, and quite honestly i'm so used to it that i always forget to ask her doctor about it when shes in for a check up, but it reminded me with that post and the fact that one of them fell off last night. anyone else's kids or themselves have this issue? and is it something that can be taken care of? i mean, i feel kinda bad for her, she loves to have her nails painted and is always like, mommy why not this toe? and i have to be like theres no nail to paint, i can just imagine how its going to affect her self esteem as a preteen/teen if its something she'll just have to deal with.

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ILive4This
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:58 AM

I have a teeny-tiny nail on one little toe, and the other one fell off...somtimes it grows back, but it falls off again.  I paint my skin, so it looks like a nail...just for balance...It's never once in my llife been an issue. Nobody (except a manicurist), ever even noticed.

jessil83
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:00 AM

thanks! i normally paint the skin if the nail has totally fallen off but sometimes its only half a nail and well than it looks very odd and she'll bug about it. i just know i had a surgical scar growing up that was a self esteem issue, so i'm always worried about her and any issues she could have. teen girls are not nice. :)

sneffy014
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:00 AM

Quoting ILive4This:

I have a teeny-tiny nail on one little toe, and the other one fell off...somtimes it grows back, but it falls off again.  I paint my skin, so it looks like a nail...just for balance...It's never once in my llife been an issue. Nobody (except a manicurist), ever even noticed.

My sister-in-law has the same thing. She's 38. Never been a problem and nobody other than a manicurist ever noticed. She wears flip-flops or sandals almost every day :)

MommaBear_0406
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:02 AM

Well now since you remembered enough to ask this here, why don't you call her Doctor now?  This could be some underlying problem that needs to be addressed!  Not getting smart or anything, just saying!  Hope you find out whats going on soon. 

Edited to Add:  After reading the other replys, I guess it is normal and not a big deal lol

Quoting jessil83:

i'm so used to it that i always forget to ask her doctor about it when shes in for a check up, but it reminded me with that post

jessil83
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:04 AM

b/c her doctors office is closed today due to the storm we are going through. so next time just don't respond if you don't have anything helpful to add.

Quoting MommaBear_0406:

Well now since you remembered enough to ask this here, why don't you call her Doctor now?  This could be some underlying problem that needs to be addressed!  Not getting smart or anything, just saying!  Hope you find out whats going on soon. 

MommaBear_0406
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:08 AM

This is a Public Forum, if I want to respond to anything I will do so.  I did not get smart with you or anything of the like.  Chill Out! 

LoL have a great day.

Quoting jessil83:

so next time just don't respond if you don't have anything helpful to add.

Quoting MommaBear_0406:

jessil83
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:10 AM

actually you did get smart, so thank you so much for the worthless input. if i could have just picked up the phone and called the doctor i would have. since i could not i figured i'd come here to see if anyone could help me out, obviously you are not helpful, so thanks for the bump.

Quoting MommaBear_0406:

This is a Public Forum, if I want to respond to anything I will do so.  I did not get smart with you or anything of the like.  Chill Out! 

LoL have a great day.

MommaBear_0406
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:15 AM

I did not get smart, you took it the wrong way! 

And as for you calling the doctor, I don't know where you live and everyone lives in different time zones.  So for all I knew, you could have been in a area where its later then the time is where I live.  See where I'm getting at? 

Quoting jessil83:

actually you did get smart, so thank you so much for the worthless input. if i could have just picked up the phone and called the doctor i would have. since i could not i figured i'd come here to see if anyone could help me out, obviously you are not helpful, so thanks for the bump.

Quoting MommaBear_0406:

LoL have a great day.

jessil83
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:17 AM

Ok, maybe I did take it the wrong way. I can see you not knowing the time, and you'd have no reason to know we are in the middle of a storm (which is why I can not call, they are not open). So I'm calling a truce. :)

Quoting MommaBear_0406:

And as for you calling the doctor, I don't know where you live and everyone lives in different time zones.  So for all I knew, you could have been in a area where its later then the time is where I live.  See where I'm getting at? 

MommaBear_0406
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:19 AM

high five

Quoting jessil83:

Ok, maybe I did take it the wrong way. I can see you not knowing the time, and you'd have no reason to know we are in the middle of a storm (which is why I can not call, they are not open). So I'm calling a truce. :)

Quoting MommaBear_0406:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)