Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

at what age ...leaving kids at birthday parties???

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:05 AM
  • 9 Replies

At what age did you start dropping your children off at a classmates bday party?

My daughteris 9 and in the 4th grade. She was invited this Sunday to a bday party...normally we don't attend but this is one of the girls that she spends a lot of time with at school.

Well I have other responsibilities that day and so does DH. I can drop her off and he can pick her up when its over, but neither of us can stay.

There are about 20 kids going, and I don't doubt she'll be fine, but we've never done this before. So it feels weird.

So what have you done in the past?

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jessil83
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:08 AM

i haven't come to this point yet, but i would say 8 or 9 seems like an ok age to do a drop off and pick up. you could always call the mom and see if its ok for you to drop her off and pick her back up, the mom may be planning on most of the parents to leave anyways. i know that when my youngest brother was that age, and i was helping my mom plan his bday party, we only expected about 4 parents to stay and that was more b/c the parents where close friends of hers as well as the kids being close friends.

grammarpolice
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:09 AM

Most kids that age aren't having birthday parties of that sort where we live. (Assuming it's in a party place, such as Chuck E Cheese or a Bounce place). They usually stop that after 1st or 2nd grade, and no one drops their child that young. Older kids usually have a party that is a trip of some sort (a weekend away, or whatever) with the parents hosting and 1 or 2 friends along.

karma30
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:10 AM

I just had my daughter's 3rd birthday party and a mother left her 4 yr old there. She was just fine and very well mannered and well behaved. I would say it depends on how well behaved the child is and how comfortable the parents are with the other adults at the party.

fall sig.
imthatgirl728
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:11 AM

She probably isn't expecting us to stay.

We had a party 2 1/2 years ago for my daughter...she was turning 7 that year and none of the parents from school kids stayed. Which actually really surprised me.

Quoting jessil83:

i haven't come to this point yet, but i would say 8 or 9 seems like an ok age to do a drop off and pick up. you could always call the mom and see if its ok for you to drop her off and pick her back up, the mom may be planning on most of the parents to leave anyways. i know that when my youngest brother was that age, and i was helping my mom plan his bday party, we only expected about 4 parents to stay and that was more b/c the parents where close friends of hers as well as the kids being close friends.

ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:24 AM

Ds went to a party when he was 5 and wanted me to stay.  I did.  Last year he went to a party and wanted me to stay.  I was the only one who stayed out of approx 10-15 kids.  A couple were little heathens, too. This  year(7 now) he went to a party for the same child and I dropped him off.  He was nervous, but he knows this kids, his mom & dad, they've played at each other's houses several times.  So I figured he's ready.

I would run my errands if I were you.  Explain ahead of time, so it's not a last minute surprise for her.

ninipanini

imthatgirl728
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:26 AM

Oh no...shes fine with me leaving. Shes a very independant child. And even though I know I raised her to be this way...it scares me sometimes, lol.

Quoting ninipanini:

Ds went to a party when he was 5 and wanted me to stay.  I did.  Last year he went to a party and wanted me to stay.  I was the only one who stayed out of approx 10-15 kids.  A couple were little heathens, too. This  year(7 now) he went to a party for the same child and I dropped him off.  He was nervous, but he knows this kids, his mom & dad, they've played at each other's houses several times.  So I figured he's ready.

I would run my errands if I were you.  Explain ahead of time, so it's not a last minute surprise for her.

ninipanini

ILive4This
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:26 AM

6 or 7 at somebody's house....if the party was out, it depended....where it was..what the kid to adult ratio was...probably like 8 years old tho.

scooterpooter
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:27 AM

i think it would depend on how well you know the parents. but at her age i'm sure it would be fine.

bouncing momamanda

imthatgirl728
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:40 AM

Sorry...left that out, its at their house. I have no idea the parent to child ratio.

Quoting ILive4This:

6 or 7 at somebody's house....if the party was out, it depended....where it was..what the kid to adult ratio was...probably like 8 years old tho.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)