Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

does anyone's baby model?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:14 AM
  • 4 Replies

I have been approached about my son modeling several times recently.  My husband and I have joked about it since he was 6 months or so and he is 13 months now.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  We are both a little nervous about the idea, but I think our son would like it.  He loves the camera and attention.   He always looks right at it and smiles.  The only reason we are considering it is to build his college fund!  We agreed that if he does it, we would want him to stop before he starts school.  If anyone has any experiences, good or bad please let me know!

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
i.heart.rachel
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:22 AM

I'm taking my girls to their first professional photography shoot this weekend. They are all interested in modeling (even though I'm pretty much against it, I'm letting them give it a go). My 4 year old wants to be a fashion designer. Go figure. I think modeling is fun for kids but once they get in school it's important to stop. Also, head shots cost a lot of money so unless I was getting these pictures for free/trade, I wouldn't be doing it at all. Good luck and make sure if you go with an agency it's a reputable one. There are a LOT of shady ones out there.

24 year old, God loving, non-vaxing, tutu making WAH momma to Jenelle, Gracelynn, and Sapphire. Girlfriend to Rachel (not wife, because apparently some people are AGAINST two loving, consenting adults marrying).

ctfirsttimemom
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:23 AM

great, thanks!  

Quoting i.heart.rachel:

I'm taking my girls to their first professional photography shoot this weekend. They are all interested in modeling (even though I'm pretty much against it, I'm letting them give it a go). My 4 year old wants to be a fashion designer. Go figure. I think modeling is fun for kids but once they get in school it's important to stop. Also, head shots cost a lot of money so unless I was getting these pictures for free/trade, I wouldn't be doing it at all. Good luck and make sure if you go with an agency it's a reputable one. There are a LOT of shady ones out there.

RiNKeasMom
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:35 AM

I almost want to tell you to run but...

We have done quite a bit. My oldest has been modeling, and has done commercials and small film roles since she was a baby.

First don't sign with an listing company excluesively because they tell you they will get you jobs, they won't, and then you are stuck, or if you find them on your own you have to pay them their profit still.

Be prepared to travel if you do not live where the industry is up and going. This meaning, NY and LA, possibly Chicago and Miami but that is for really print only.

If your child is not a speak when spoken too, its gonna be a problem. After about the age of 2 they have to be able to do exactly what they are told when the are told to do it, no whining, no crying, no bad days, and forget a nap. They have to be the right size (which was our problem, DD is very tall)and have enough "plain" looks to fit with whomever else is in the shoot with them. Its very competitive and cut-throat, and you can get kicked out of a shoot for minor details. These people are not nice and do not care.

Sorry not trying to scare you, but its the reality of the business. We are taking time off now, but she has a few "show" offers in for Spring so we may start back then. She has also been tagged for 2 film auditions that we are attending over the holidays.

Best thing to remember if your child does not WANT to be doing it, don't, it will just be a waste of your time and money.

ctfirsttimemom
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:41 AM

he is 13 months now, and is always ready for a picture, but I'm not sure how he will do with a bunch of people he doesn't know around.  He has done great at all his professional pictures.  Just the whole modeling industry freaks me out. 

Quoting RiNKeasMom:

I almost want to tell you to run but...

We have done quite a bit. My oldest has been modeling, and has done commercials and small film roles since she was a baby.

First don't sign with an listing company excluesively because they tell you they will get you jobs, they won't, and then you are stuck, or if you find them on your own you have to pay them their profit still.

Be prepared to travel if you do not live where the industry is up and going. This meaning, NY and LA, possibly Chicago and Miami but that is for really print only.

If your child is not a speak when spoken too, its gonna be a problem. After about the age of 2 they have to be able to do exactly what they are told when the are told to do it, no whining, no crying, no bad days, and forget a nap. They have to be the right size (which was our problem, DD is very tall)and have enough "plain" looks to fit with whomever else is in the shoot with them. Its very competitive and cut-throat, and you can get kicked out of a shoot for minor details. These people are not nice and do not care.

Sorry not trying to scare you, but its the reality of the business. We are taking time off now, but she has a few "show" offers in for Spring so we may start back then. She has also been tagged for 2 film auditions that we are attending over the holidays.

Best thing to remember if your child does not WANT to be doing it, don't, it will just be a waste of your time and money.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)