Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Will you make up your damn mind already...

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:16 AM
  • 18 Replies

Is it okay to give a three year old cough medicine or not??? A few months I bought Mucinex for 2-3 year olds. Now the same exact product (same mgs and all) says under 4, do not use. Sometimes I can find it for her age and sometimes I can't. They keep switching it around. I remember there was a time even I couldn't find cold medicine for a child under 6, now the age is 4. Why can't they just put the damn dosages on the box and let me, THE PARENT, decide how to medicate my child? 

Soooooo what am I supposed to do with a 3 year old that is up half the night coughing? 

"Religion is dangerous because it allows human beings, who don't have all the answers, to think they do."

~ The Dems and the Reps remind me of my kids ~

One is always pointing out the bad things that the other is doing in hopes that I don't notice all the bullshit he is trying to get away with...

I'm not fooled by my own kids and I'm not fooled by Politicians.

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
one_white_rose
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:26 AM

it really depends on how long your 3yr old has been sick and how bad the cough is if he/she has been coughing bad enough to keep them awake at night, and has been sick for awhile mucinex will be fine for it. My daughter got sick like that a month ago and just couldn't shake it and her dr told me 1/2 tsp of mucinex or robitussin dm. If you would like something more natural give a tsp of honey

anetrnlov
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:27 AM

You probably keep finding because stores are putting out older stock and not looking to see if it has the updated packaging.

The changed the ages because so many children are being medicated incorrectly with over the counter medication.

Call the doc and ask them or talk to the pharmacist.

wedding website

Swtmama62205
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:27 AM

My pediatrician told me they had to change all the labels because stupid parents were over dosing there kids on children's medicines.  I would give you the dosage you can use by weight but last time i did that i got jumped on lol  So call your pedi and they will tell you how much to give him

Willowjade
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:28 AM

Sit in the bathroom with the shower running on HOT and let the steam loosen up and relax the lungs.  It will help expel anything in the lungs and probably make your baby feel better.    You can also make a luke warm cup of honey lemon tea, (add extra honey to make it a bit sweet) and let them drink that through a tippy cup.  It will soothe.

There really isn't any cold medicine/cough medicine they recommend for children that young.  I had a pediatritian recommend Dulsem (sp?)once.  Said it was the mildest thing out there that works well.  But that was before they started recommending no medicine below 6 (or 4 ) now.

And the reason they don't put the amounts on the labels and let you the parent decide anymore is because too many parents were taking it upon themselves to administer children wrong doses or give them to their children too often.  Resulting in children in the ER who were overmedicated.  Parents would get frustrated because the med would wear off and give them more, or they would give the dose in teaspoons instead of cc's.  

They determined that the relief the children would receive was not a big enough relief compared to the constant risks and overmedications.

BethInWI
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:30 AM

SOunds silly but we use Vicks on the bottom of our step sons feet and put his socks back on and that usually does the trick at bed time.

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."
-Matthew 6:34
bubbasmom0917
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:31 AM

because if they let the parent decide and something goes wrong with the child......PARENTS will sue. everyone has to watch their own and companies back. take her to the doctor and the doctor will decide what she needs and go from there.

I_never_regret
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:32 AM

My mom always did this for me but when I would have a cough when i was little a teaspoon of honey. Let them drink it. it coats the throat and they stop coughing.

Luna091306
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:38 AM

She had the flu about a month or so ago. She hasn't been able to shake the cough. Neither has her brother and when I had it, it took me nearly two months too. Generally it's not that bad but last night she was hacking for a couple of hours. I turned her humidifier on and gave her nose spray which helps with the nose congestion. She just had a lot of mucus she couldn't seem to get up. The mucinex I ended up getting was just an expectorant to help break up chest congestion. It was 50mg of Guaifenesin. Same thing she had last time minus the Dextromethorphan. Last time the directions said ages 2-3, 1 packet every 4 hours. Now it says under 4, do not use and 4-6, 1 to 2 packets every four hours. She is 36 inches and weighs over 30lbs so I gave her one packet.  

Quoting one_white_rose:

it really depends on how long your 3yr old has been sick and how bad the cough is if he/she has been coughing bad enough to keep them awake at night, and has been sick for awhile mucinex will be fine for it. My daughter got sick like that a month ago and just couldn't shake it and her dr told me 1/2 tsp of mucinex or robitussin dm. If you would like something more natural give a tsp of honey

"Religion is dangerous because it allows human beings, who don't have all the answers, to think they do."

One is always pointing out the bad things that the other is doing in hopes that I don't notice all the bullshit he is trying to get away with...

Luna091306
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:39 AM

Quoting BethInWI:

SOunds silly but we use Vicks on the bottom of our step sons feet and put his socks back on and that usually does the trick at bed time.

We do that as well. It helps with her stuffy nose but not so much the coughing.

Kiki7808
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:42 AM

you could try childrens umkca... its say 2 or older. and i think from what i read its either all natural or mostly natural

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)