Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WHAT IS THE MOST YOUR CHILD HAS MISSED IN A SCHOOL YEAR?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:36 AM
  • 8 Replies

I an very worried my child has been getting good grades especially on his first reportcard.But he has missed 5 days on and off since school started with strep throat and ear infection even though we called ahead for homework ea day.Now he was told to take 7 days off by his dr because he had the swine flu.I dont want to get introuble with school cause he couldnt help it.I dont know legally how many days you can miss in a yr.Do you? Anne

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Ktkazblake
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:38 AM

My dd has missed about 6 days this year due to being sick and a family emergency, I think as long as you have Dr's notes then he should be ok as long as he makes up the school work and doesn't fall behind

el_dj_mom
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:39 AM

well he usually doesn't miss much but he is currently home for the 4th day this week lol i went to school and got stuff for him to do at home though and will go get more tomorrow if he doesn't go back til monday, but legally i don't know for sure

Just_Bethy
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:40 AM

One of mine missed 7 days one year..we normally qualify for the perfect attendance drawing..(3 days or less)...but he was in hospital with roto virus... 

Drillers Wife, Toughest Job In The Oil Field.

anetrnlov

I think that would vary depending on the school district/state.  Call the school board, they should be able to tell you. 

We homeschool so our schedule is completely up to me...so technically Bryce never misses any days.

wedding website

ILive4This

out of all 4 of my kids, my 9yo, this year has missed the most school.  His dad planned a trip to England for the 2 of them (we're divorced), in Sept. Ugh.  He missed 4 days.  None of my other kids (all are graduated already) ever missed that many days.  We usually had perfect attendance...you have to PROVE to me you're sick, lol.  I'm not sure what the limit per quarter, or semester is.  Seems like maybe 6 days, or something.

mysteriousmom06
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:42 AM

I think the most in one year was 4 days for my son but my kids don't get sick very often.

Usually after 5 days of absence, they have to have a doctor's note for any days they are home sick. I'm pretty sure as long as you have a note, they can't do anything about it.

In high school my friend missed 45 days of school & they didn't do anything b/c she had doctor's notes for all of them.

Crystallynn
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:54 AM

At my kids' school it is 15 days in a year..... if you miss more than 15 days, then you get to repeat a grade.  Now, I dont know how strict they are in this because I havent been in the school for very long.  So far this year he has missed 3 days...... 2 days because he was sick and one day because we had a 10:40am dr appt and didnt get back to school till 1:30- he had already been marked absent for the day so we just got his make up work and took him home.

matofour
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:19 AM

Well, last year my oldest missed almost 20 days.

10 were for a vacation, and then she got sick and missed a full week in the spring, and a few others throughout the year.

We did get a letter, but when I called our principal he said not to worry he has to send it out, but he knew all my daughters misses were cleared by him. 

I think it really depends on your district as to how far they take it.
My daughter also happens to be really smart, and just picks things up quickly, so we had no problems with her missing all those days. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)