Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please give me your cheap dinner recipes.

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:00 AM
  • 14 Replies

We really need to watch our pennies for a while, can anyone give me some cheap dinner recipes? Hopefully some that can be used for leftovers and made into something else. And that my 10 month old could eat.  Any good chili recipes also?! Thanks a lot

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LilyGiannaMommy
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:31 AM

bump

ThatSkyGirl
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:32 AM

As far as chili recipes go I just use the packets of chili, they are near the gravy packs and I just follow the directions, but i use and extra can of red beans to make it go further, then I use the left overs to make chili cheese hotdogs the next night. Also I make hamburger steaks and they are pretty cheap. I just patty out burgers and cook them with some onions and green peppers and then take them out leave about 2 tbs of grease in the pan get it kinda hot add 2 tbs of flour and get it nice and brown then add about 1 cup of cold water, and *walah* u have gravy for your hamburger steaks!!  Also spaghetti is pretty cheap to make. I always buy meat in bulk then separate it into plastic freezer bags that way its just the right amount of meat with out wasting any. Hope this helps :)

katienick
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:34 AM

and with the chili I also do chili mac.  I try to get some stuff at save a lot or aldis.  Just add noodles to the chili

ThatSkyGirl
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:34 AM

you can make gravy out of the meat drippings and flour with water for just about anything, and its a lot cheaper than buying the packs.... but take the meat out, just incase u mess up the gravy, that way u didnt mess the meat up along with it.

Quoting ThatSkyGirl:

As far as chili recipes go I just use the packets of chili, they are near the gravy packs and I just follow the directions, but i use and extra can of red beans to make it go further, then I use the left overs to make chili cheese hotdogs the next night. Also I make hamburger steaks and they are pretty cheap. I just patty out burgers and cook them with some onions and green peppers and then take them out leave about 2 tbs of grease in the pan get it kinda hot add 2 tbs of flour and get it nice and brown then add about 1 cup of cold water, and *walah* u have gravy for your hamburger steaks!!  Also spaghetti is pretty cheap to make. I always buy meat in bulk then separate it into plastic freezer bags that way its just the right amount of meat with out wasting any. Hope this helps :)

BrownEyedGirl86
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:38 AM

beefaroni

1 lb elbow pasta

at least 1 to 1 1/2 lbs of ground beef

3 or 4 cans of tomato soup

boil water cook pasta -- while cooking pasta brwn beef and drain,  when pasta is cooked drain and add beef to pasta and mix in 3 cans of tomoto soup

www.belladiapercreations.webs.com <~~ check out my website
LilyGiannaMommy
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:39 AM

Yeah we don't have an aldi here. We have a walmart but it isnt a super walmart and regular grocery stores. I'm thinking about going to BJ's for meat. Thanks for the recipes, keep em coming lol

abenirichelle
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:37 AM

I usually make tacos one night and fry up enough ground beef to roll it over to a spaghetti the next night...for some reason i think the taco spice tastes good in the spaghetti.

Something I tried recently was: I made a pot roast in the crock pot with carrots and potatoes.  the next day I had a bunch of the potatoes left so I fried up some cheap smoked sausage and threw the potatoes in with it to warm up and picked out a veggie for the side.  I imagine you could make burritos out of any leftover pot roast if you wanted to, never tried it.

My family is a little southern (we live in louisiana) but on a little bit of the spicy side there is jambalaya which can be rolled over to a red beans, rice and sausage then can be rolled over into a chili.  just a thought.

One of my families favorite meals is hamburger pie.  I don't know who hasn't heard of it, but if you haven't and need the recipie let me know.

isra1986
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:40 AM

Buy lots of lentils, brown rice, beans.
Frozen veggies.
Buy little meats, get the protein from the beans and lentils.

My favorite thing to make is lentil and rice cassaroles. You can be creative, add any ingredients and spices! Cook it with meat or a meat or veggie stock!

All4you
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:44 AM

My family loves this and it costs maybe $6 bucks if you get the chicken on sale! I do not use the parmesan cheese tho.

Italian Chicken

4 - 6 Chicken (I use legs and thighs to save money, starting with frozen is fine)
1 cup bottled Italian oil/vinegar style dressing
1/2 cup sourcream
1/4 cup grated parmesan (green can stuff is fine)

Put a thin layer of dressing on the bottom of the crockpot. Add the frozen chicken breasts. Pour remaining dressing over chicken. Cook on low 8 hours. Remove chicken from the crockpot. Add sourcream and parmesan to hot dressing/juices, mix well.

The sauce can be spooned over chicken and a hot vegetable, such as broccoli,

TwylaBleu
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Beef or Chicken Pot Pie

I lb chicken breast or ground beef cooked 

I can of your favorite cream soup

I bag of frozen mixed veggies yhawed

2 cup baking mix ( I use Jiffy)

2  egg

I cup of milk

Cook meat, for chicken chunk it up

Mix cream soup, meat and veggies

In a seperate bowl mix baking mix, eggs and milk

Put meat mixture into 9x13 pan

Pour baking mixture over

Bake at 400 for 30 minutes or until top is golden brown

When I make this there is always enough leftover for another meal.  My son has been eating it for a while (he is just over a year now)  but if you are concerned your LO may not be ble to eat it save some veggies aside and make a small veggies caserole.

Another variation is to put mashed potatoes on top instead of baking mix, this makes it kind of like Shepard's pie.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)